Next Years Dewalt/5" Lazer hole maker

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. St. Clair' started by Tin Can, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Tin Can

Tin Can

IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0762.JPG IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0764.JPG So, thru the years I keep down sizing the holes that I will fish in based on what my shoulders can take in regards to drilling holes, yes I have a power auger but thru the years have come to the conclusion that I don't want to make allot of noise unless the ice is 12" thick and I am tired of clearing out bigger holes. I have gone from an 8" to 6" and now a 5" Lazer. I recently decided that next year I will give the drill a whirl. I already had a dewalt 20v max, and decided to buy the 5AH battery and the adapter. While fishing a couple weeks back I heard a guy cussing because he was using a drill to drill his holes and the auger came off the drill. So you can see what I did. I purchased a $3 cutting board about 1/4 thick and made a 5-3/4" disk with a 1" hole in the center. I slid it over the end of the auger. I then used heater hose and 1-1/4" sprinkler system clamps to secure the disk in place. If the auger ever comes detached from the drill the disk will prevent it from falling thru the hole. I also just free wheeled the drill/auger holding it up in the air to if it will really work, I was shocked at the torque this little dewalt has, and am very confindent that it will be amazing for drilling holes next year.

And it is very compact, about a foot shorter then with the cranking portion of the auger installed, this is going to be a game changer for me

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  2. 6667supersport

6667supersport

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

That will work.

4. Tin Can

Tin Can

Feeling even better about using the Dewalt 20v Max. After seeing ggoblue post about the K-drill I decided to go to the site. And if you order the combo kit you purchase the dill motor with the auger. You get to chose whether you want the Dewalt 20v, or the Milwaukee fuel series. that is pretty good endorsement for both drills.

5. Woodbutcher-1

Woodbutcher-1

Good choice. Add a Ny-Lock nut at the other end of the Thumb screw.if not,replace the thumb
    screw with a longer bolt and a Ny-Lock nut. Your welcome.

6. Cohojoe

Cohojoe

Really like your setup. Have had the Ridgid/ 5" lazer combo for about 4 years now. Love it. So far I have drilled 40 holes on one battery through 12" ice. Nothing is as fast or quiet as a drill setup. I find 5" is perfect in most scenarios. Unless in strong current or for big fish

Tin Can likes this.
  7. Tin Can

Tin Can

Thank you for the feedback guys.

8. bobberbill

bobberbill

Looks good. I did the same on my lazer but with a piece of frisbee sized plywood. You're gonna like it..