close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

newbie yote gun question

Discussion in 'Michigan Predator Hunting' started by mjohnson1979, Oct 7, 2017.

1. mjohnson1979

mjohnson1979

me and my buddy have been talking for awhile about yote hunting. i have been watching allot of videos and trying to do as much research as i can and i think its time to get serious. so i thought i would try to get some input from everyone on here who knows way more than i do.

i have been looking for a excuse to finish a ar build i started awhile ago so i was thinking either get a 18 or 20in barrel and setting that up as a daytime yote gun or getting some sort of a night vision setup on my 17hmr and having a nighttime gun.

we will be mostly starting out on public land around the thumb. being a new yote hunter wasnt sure if it would be better to start day or night hunting. i appreciate any comments or advise.

2. Al L

Al L

Is best to start day hunting I think, but I also recommend waiting for a good frost to put the leaves on the ground and some of thr taller grasses too.

Is tough seeing rhem with all the leaves and tall grasses.

:D Al

3. jiggerjarvi

jiggerjarvi

Go with .269 caliber or smaller and you can hunt day/night with same gun.

An “affordable” start for both would be an ATN digital scope, works day and night with an IR illuminating light.

Look thru this forum, go back a year or so, almost anything you’ll need to know to get up and running is here.

Good luck, and don’t forget to put up some pics of your yotes!

4. Fool'em

Fool'em

12ga is my preferred night weapon
    But if you only carry that I guarantee you'll have a time you wish you had the rifle

5. mjohnson1979

mjohnson1979

thanks guys. i will check that scope out and i will def keep looking through stuff on here. i cant wait for the day i can share my first yote.

jsbowman likes this.
  6. jsbowman

jsbowman

It can be a pain sometimes, but I carry both.

7. jiggerjarvi

jiggerjarvi

Yes, pain in my shoulders!
    2 long guns, backpack with gear, I’ve got my system down so my hands are free, but this spring I missed out on a brute cuz I didn’t carry out my 11-87 and I was pissed, lessons learned

8. mjohnson1979

mjohnson1979

I was looking at that atn scope and also the sightmark photon xt. I like the idea of having a day\night scope in one. The photon has a few less buttons to deal with but only 4.6 or 6.5 fixed power. But it also looked to have a little bit more clear picture in night mode from the videos i saw. Do you think one of those scopes on my 17hmr would be good to get me started then maybe a better gun down the road?

9. doggk9

doggk9

[​IMG]
    Public land in the thumb is not eligible for centerfire at night

jeffm, wolf man and ma1979 like this.
  10. mjohnson1979

mjohnson1979

ok thanks i get confused reading the rule book the way they word some of the stuff.