newbie to hunting

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by nj300, May 15, 2018 at 4:19 PM.

1. nj300

nj300

I've never been hunting. I looked at what animals I can hunt and I'd like to hunt feral pigeons, starling or house sparrows. i see you can get license online. if i go to Bass Pro, would they be of help, to give a run down of do's and don'ts and where public lands are? I'd like to use 300 blk or .22lr for the small game birds. For water fowl do you need to use a shotgun? Of course I'd never shoot a bird flying w/ rifle just when they're on land. also would the license go over how to interact w/ officers? I'd hate to not have the proper papers or firearm. any pointers would be helpful. thanks

2. Waif

Waif

Take hunters safety course # 1. Ask your questions there.
    Read regulations in hunter handbook.
    Go to D.N.R. website for more information and maps.

A .300 Blackout is a little too much rifle for sparrows.

3. Dtb810

Dtb810

you will need hunters safety first. they go over all you questions.

4. nj300

nj300

thanks!

5. mjh4

mjh4

Yeah ask some older hunters to take you out hunting but make sure you take a safety course and get a hunting guide book and it will let you no what you need or just call you local DNR office they will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. RWSanfordEnterprises.com

RWSanfordEnterprises.com

Exactly!!! Just do hunter safety!!!

7. Duckiller

Duckiller

Do not shoot waterfowl with a rifle unless you want to spend time in a federal prison. Definitely against the law. Not sure about MI law. Talk to DNR. They should point you in the direction of a club of group that can help you get started legally. They don't want to arrest some one thatdoes something illegal because you didn't know any better. They will but it is not their goal in life. They really like getting knowledgeable violators. Welcome to hunting. Be safe!

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  8. RWSanfordEnterprises.com

RWSanfordEnterprises.com

Use steel shot only, shot gun only with a three shot max, must have a plug in the shotgun to ensure this, no waterfowl from an elevated stand. Read the rule book seasons and shooting hours limits and species.

9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Waterfowl hunting is about as stupid as the rules can get. You don't want to start with duck hunting!

10. RWSanfordEnterprises.com

RWSanfordEnterprises.com

I agree!

11. petronius

petronius

If you plan on eating the sparrows and starlings, even a .22lr might be too much. The shock of the bullet tends to destroy most of the meat. Get yourself a .177 pellet rifle.

12. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

First off, I’m glad you are interested and reaching out. It is difficult to start from scratch, but feel free to message me with any questions.

Right now (spring) there are not many hunting opportunities other than turkeys. Unless you plan to eat the feral pigeons I wouldn’t use them as target practice.

Like the others said start with taking hunters safety this summer. Yes it will take up a weekend or a few week nights, but you will learn valuable information. You may even meet somebody to help mentor you as well. I threw a link below to all of the Michigan hunting digests. The general digest for 2018 usually comes out in June. READ all of these to figure out the regulations and use the public land map on the website to determine hunting areas.

In my opinion the best game animal to start hunting are squirrels. 22lr or a shotgun will be perfect for this, season starts September 15 every year. Squirrels are extremely underrated. They are fun to hunt and eat really well. Spend a lot of time at the range this summer learning your firearms, you owe that to the animals.

If you want to get serious about deer hunting, you can apply for a doe tag starting July 15 for your specific area. Some areas have for doe tags available on public than others. You will have to verify firearm regulations again depending where you are hunting. South of M46 is shotgun/muzzleloader or straight wall rifles only, north of m46 is rifle legal where you could use the 300blk. There are so many good you tube videos and how to’s for the hunting world. If you have Netflix, there are two seasons of Meateater which is THE best hunting show out there. The host Steve Rinella is from Michigan and has great episodes showing how butcher a deer etc.

Good luck as you pursue this, don’t hesitate to message me if you have any questions.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79772_80260---,00.html

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  13. petronius

petronius

If you were born in 1960 or later, you will need to take a hunter safety class.
    Hunter Education and Safety
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79147_81282---,00.html

This may be helpful.
    Learn to Hunt
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79147_82109---,00.html