Newbie Fisher Gal

Discussion in 'Michigan Women in the Out-Of-Doors' started by FisherGal60, Mar 25, 2019.

1. retired dundo

retired dundo

Have you ever known anyone that loves fishing as much as fishinggal Iam 75 and I never have

6Speed likes this.
  2. FisherGal60

FisherGal60 Premium Member

3901A0D9-8620-446E-91FC-F49DC9B72D2E.jpeg CA5DA2F8-4AAE-477C-9B9E-791C04368CA9.jpeg B7533F1F-517A-4582-B55A-5C5753D5FEF2.jpeg
    CE93A2A7-571B-4F5A-924B-5C6A663F1E39.jpeg 28365F1B-DEA3-40B8-9263-94ED314C52C9.jpeg Where to start lol. I guess the beginning would be a good place. It has definitely been a long haul to say the least. I could definitely write a short novella about my quest for salmon.

It all started when I was reading the master angler records from 2019 and noticed that the largest salmon of the year were caught from Lake Michigan in August. And at the same time there was a post of a woman catching a steelhead from the pier in Grand Haven the last weekend in July. So I decided that’s where I would start my quest and set up shop so to speak. But before I get into that here are a list of the places I went 11 weekends in a row:

August 8 - Moore’s park dam Lansing
    August 9 - Portland dam
    August 14 - Grand Haven
    August 15 - Grand Haven & Portland
    August 16 - Portland
    August 22 - Grand Haven
    August 23 - Grand Haven & Portland
    August 28 - Grand Ledge & Grand Haven
    August 29 & 30 - Grand Haven (with evening stop at Portland on the way home on the 30th)
    September 5 - Portland & Grand Haven
    September 6 - Grand Haven
    September 7 - Belle Isle
    September 11 - Portland (went after work)
    September 12 & 13 - Portland
    September 14 - Portland (called in sick)
    September 19 & 20 - Portland
    September 25, 26 & 27 - Portland (prairie creek)
    October 2 - Portland (went after work)
    October 3 ,4 & 5 - Portland
    October 9 - Portland (went after work)
    October 10 & 11 - Portland (prairie creek on 11th)
    October 17 - Portland

Before I set out I read as much as I could online about fishing for salmon. The most appealing method to me was bead fishing so I purchased a good variety of beads, weights, hooks and floats. As time went on and after meeting and talking with local fishermen at the various sites I visited I added spoons, inline spinners and thunder sticks to my arsenal. And finally near the end of the 11 weeks added yarn, yarn balls ( that I made with the yarn) and spawn.

So August 8, 2020, I arrived at Moore’s Park dam about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Unfortunately the right side of the dam walkway where the spillway is located was blocked off due to construction on the dam. That was where I caught a pretty nice sized channel catfish last year. But it wasn’t a total bust at Moore’s; caught a few smallmouth in the early evening, only about 12 or 13 inches and got snagged a lot as well :-( At about 1:00am I decided to go to Portland. I was fishing for a while when a young couple arrived. They went to the island area and the young man said there were lots of fish just in front of him. But between the three of us, we couldn’t get them to bite, all night, as the couple stayed all night as well. It wasn’t until just before dawn that they started to bite and they were small smallmouths. I’ll tell ya there’s nothing like sleeping in the outdoors lol. When I’m out all night the, the most difficult time for me is between 3:00 and 5:00am especially when nothing is biting lol. But I’ll put a line out, thread it through the arm of my folding chair and doze for a while (weather permitting). It’s very serene.

Anyhow, no big story on this weekend but there’s more to come... so stay tuned!

3. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

That's quite a list!!!

4. retired dundo

retired dundo

It sure is amazing what she does

6Speed likes this.