Newbie Fisher Gal

Discussion in 'Michigan Women in the Out-Of-Doors' started by FisherGal60, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Waif

Waif

Wow , what a brute of a carp! Congrats.

GrandHaven when we hit it used to challenge us with guessing which pier to hit.
    We'd try figuring the wind before leaving home , but being it was a fifty fifty chance of choosing the right pier , we often ended up switching after arrival. Or after trying one a while.
    The wrong wind seemed to affect fish ,but when water is coming over the pier , it affected those doing the fishing too!
    And it's not simply walking over to the other to switch , l.o.l..

FisherGal60 likes this.
  2. waterwolf90

waterwolf90

It was nice to meet you this morning Fishergal!
    I had fun surfing today, got some good waves at GH state park.

TK81, FisherGal60 and 6Speed like this.

3. stickman1978

stickman1978

Had fun as a youth battling them big carp on the Tawas River.

FisherGal60 likes this.
  4. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Cool!!!!

waterwolf90 likes this.
  5. FisherGal60

FisherGal60

1B471A5E-02FA-45B8-AF73-2E42BEFEEC38.jpeg Friday, August 28, 2020: So the day was rainy all morning and I was bummed out because I had taken the day off from work to go fishing. So I ran some errands in the morning, ate some lunch, took a little nap and woke up at about 2 PM and the sun was out. So I looked at the weather reports and there was a little break now until about six 6 PM. So I decided to head out and made it to Grand Ledge at about 4:30 PM. The dam there is pretty awesome but very difficult to fish. There was an area level to the river but I would have had to climb down through some trees and I was worried about slipping and falling. I need to get some shoes that will grip really good I guess LOL. I did not catch anything in the rapid area so I went to the top side of the dam and I was getting some nibbles but I did not catch anything.

Now it’s about 7:30 PM and there are some clouds building and so I look at the weather report again and I see that it is no longer going to be storming in Grand Haven all night as it showed earlier. It was supposed to have scattered clouds by 11 PM or so and no rain the rest of the night.

So I start driving out that way and occasionally on 96 there were a few showers but there was a heck of a big storm going on south of 96 and I just kept hoping it wasn’t going to come up north and impede my way to Grand Haven. So I got to Grand Haven about 11:45 PM and for a change it was just like they said, scattered clouds and the moon was out; it was warm and beautiful. Later I found out that Holland got really pounded with some bad storms.

So I got my first hit at about 4 AM. It was a 23 inch catfish. Then at about 4:30 0CB8FBB2-ED87-49FA-91E4-7D7B99334840.jpeg 1E170882-5114-4C73-BA6E-8DEC42DABD54.jpeg 87ECA3F3-463A-41B8-A1B3-E09872D9FB45.jpeg 30B9FC17-FEDF-4655-844D-05A091C9B4DB.jpeg I caught a 25” carp weighing in at 8.25 lbs. Then you know what happened at 6:00am lol.

waterwolf90, Scottygvsu and Waif like this.
  6. FisherGal60

FisherGal60

34F4724E-9BFC-401A-896E-987A0EBA9323.jpeg C694C9CF-0BB0-4AC8-90AF-9B70A701E245.jpeg AED1E133-6E0C-49BD-8C79-58D9D5CAB17F.jpeg 35BC8E38-FEC4-4B9B-80EA-CD218E2D45BE.jpeg Saturday - August 29, 2020: So as daylight arrived there were fish jumping but I couldn’t get a hit on anything; tried spoons, jointed jerkbaits, jig heads with grubs on them etc and nothing worked. At about 8:00am there were clouds to the west and bright sunshine towards the east but it was raining lightly on me in the sunny area and there was a beautiful rainbow over Lake Michigan. I think that’s about when waterwolf90 arrived after reading my post about the 34” carp. It was great to meet another avid sportsman!

At about 9:30am I caught a small sheepshead and then a dang gobie at about 1:00pm. The water was still pretty fierce after the storms from the day before and two teens were swept off the south pier as I watched the sheriff’s boat tear down the channel and a helicopter flying above. It only lasted about a half hour and the sheriff came back so I figured everything worked out okay (I looked online on Monday and the 2 teens were fine.)

So I left the pier about 6pm and went to a rest area to sleep. I think I got back at about 10pm. Put out a couple sinkers, one with shrimp and one with a crawler but nothing happened. It was a little cooler but not COLD and I had socks on and long pants and layers of sweaters and a hoody so I was good. I did fall asleep for a few hours though lol but it was great sleeping out in the open air near the water...can’t beat it. I don’t have any pics of the evening or the morning so I guess I didn’t catch anything lol...but stay tuned!!

waterwolf90, Scottygvsu and Waif like this.
  7. FisherGal60

FisherGal60

A4D2E89D-8378-4302-BE1B-DFB3D7FE53C5.jpeg 4A713EF4-FFA5-4103-B0C0-D7EB57729196.jpeg 090EA417-6C77-4A1F-B8C7-84F10CE6905D.jpeg F69BC305-60ED-45BE-8E21-C19C41208EF9.jpeg Sunday - August 30, 2020: So since I wasn’t catching anything around I decided to head to Portland at about 2pm. And as I was driving east on 104 I turn my head and saw some water to my right so I’m like I’m going to check that out. I drive down the side street and there is this little area with a bench and a railing and it’s called Tanglefoot Park. And I’m like I’ll just stop, take out my small rod, cast out there and see what might be biting. Started catching some small perch. That was cool, at least I was catching something. And while I was fishing a young girl showed up to fish. She was in her final year at Grand Valley for electrical engineering and she had just started fishing this summer. Her boyfriend introduced her to Fishing and she cannot stop LOL. So she asked me how to rig a weedless hook. She had a Yum worm and I put it on the hook for her and she caught her first bass on it. She was so excited and was glad I was there to see her catch it; I was glad as well. It’s always nice to make a good catch and there are others around to see it. Then I threw out a weedless worm and as I was bringing it in and it was near the top of the water a bass came out of nowhere and hit on it but I didn’t hook it. But I kept fishing there for a while longer and caught a rock bass before moving onto Portland.

I got to Portland about 6:30pm and started from the island so I could cast into the spillway; but didn’t get anything. Moved back to my usual spot on the little dock and as it got dark I see a friggin walleye swimming near the island. I’m like you gotta be kidding, I was just fishing from there. So I cast closer to the island and downstream hoping as I reel it back the dang walleye might bite on it, but nope. I actually did not catch anything for the first time in Portland. So I left about 10pm and was trying to drive home, but exhaustion got the best of me lol. I got to a rest area and turned the car off and the next thing I know it’s 5am. I didn’t even get the seat back or get my pillow out, I just crashed. But I still had time to drive home and get ready for work and make it to work on time. And when I walked into that building and put on the mask, I detested being there; I really need to change the duality of my life...so stay tuned.

Swampdog467, zzcop302, TK81 and 5 others like this.
  8. Waif

Waif

Great accounts!

Fishing can be a / the needed balance sometimes. Knowing it always awaits can be good for one's health ,mindset sometimes. Cheaper that a cottage to think about visiting ,while visiting to little. In theory anyways. Depending on how overboard one gets with fishing....

And yes , that fresh air with the scent of water can help ya sleep. L.o.l..

waterwolf90 likes this.
  9. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Go Gal Go! Love reading your adventures. You're a hard core fishergal for sure.

zzcop302 likes this.
  10. FisherGal60

FisherGal60

93A9C846-4535-4E2E-BDD4-205AA6AA1457.png 6F820B28-7E33-4FD0-97A6-CE2EDD793249.jpeg 34843EA9-CF53-4E08-87AB-8D7666CA6BCB.jpeg FF43BE07-5C4F-41DC-B318-7EDE666462C6.jpeg 49710A6F-5082-4149-A8B8-0F0E0BCD52A3.jpeg Monday - September 7, 2020: (This is out of order but I wanted to tell this story first lol.) I decided to go to Belle Isle; I have never fished from there. I texted my daughter to see what she was up to to see if she wanted to go and we could have a picnic lunch. I was pleasantly surprised as she agreed to go. She lives in Detroit so she was going to meet me there. Went to Joe’s Produce in Livonia to pick up some cantaloupe, a specialty salad (after all, an afternoon with my daughter is special) and some really tasty bean chips (pick di gallo flavor) and daughter was bringing turkey and provolone sandwiches. Went to Moe’s Bait Shop and got some minnows, then to Belle Isle.

After looking at the map of Belle Isle I chose the area to the right of the Detroit Yacht Club. It was cement with a railing and benches rather than fish from one the piers that juts out into the water. So I throw out a sinker with a piece of shrimp and I’m working on another line and my daughter says,”Mom, mom, you got a bite!” So I told her to pick it up. It was a big fish lol. So I had my daughter get the net (she’s never manned a net before lol). So a dude a little further down from us came over to help out. It was a 21” sheepshead. Not huge but they still put up a good fight. So I cast out the same thing again, sinker with shrimp and after a little while get another bite. This time my daughter manned the net by herself lol. It was another sheepshead, 25”, 8lbs (same as the largest sheepshead I caught at Lake Erie in the spring.)

So then I was tired of catching sheepshead lol and stopped using shrimp; switched to crawlers and minnows. In the mean time I was catching some very tiny fish. Caught a perch, a baby flathead catfish and something else that I don’t know what it was, but it was shiny. So I replace a store bought minnow with the shiny fish. I saw some activity on the line and when I reeled it back in the lower third of the shiny fish was bitten off. I have no clue as to what was eating on it.

So I think it’s about 6 or 6:30pm and my daughter leaves and I’m just casting a spoon now as it’s getting later. So there were a man and a woman just about in the center of the pier and they were catching some bass so I head over that way since there’s no one else to the left of them. Just me and my spoon lol. I’m just walking down the pier and casting and get to the opening of the channel to the marina for the Detroit Yacht Club and cast there; but it was too weedy so I start walking back to the center of the pier, casting as I went along and just as I reached a small turn I could see my gold and red spoon in the water and suddenly a big green body chasing it. But I was already in retrieving it mode as it was really close to the surface so I didn’t get it.

So I cast a several more times in the same area and on one of the casts I let it go deeper and BAM I got him; well for a few seconds. I was pulling up making sure the hook was really set and before I knew it the line broke. It broke right where the barrel swivel snap goes on which is tied directly to your line so you can change lures. I’ve been really good at checking my sinker lines because I’ve been catching so many heavy fish I check to make sure everything is tied securely. But I don’t remember when I checked this line and I was going to respool this reel (even though I just did it 3 weeks ago) because I’d been using it to river fish and when it snagged I would pull it to break it and I know that can weaken the strength so it’s my fault he got away. So then I tried some other spoons and some other lures but no bites. I imagine he wasn’t very happy with the hook from the spoon probably still in his mouth. I was so angry with myself...but there will be more to come...so stay tuned!!

11. Waif

Waif

Wow you were right amongst fish again!
    Congrats on the mix.

A knot is often a/the weak link.
    Not saying it will help much if your line is in poor condition , but wetting a loose monofilament knot before tightening helps prevent "burn" as it is snugged up.

12. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

Big and green will most likely be Muskie or northern pike especially given the location to lake St Clair. Both fish have lots of sharp teeth that easily cut through mono and braid. Some prefer to use a “steel leader” when casting lures in this area.
    https://www.fishusa.com/Terminator-PreRigged-Braided-Titanium-Leaders
    Thanks again for your reports!

13. retired dundo

retired dundo

Great reports I could never keep up with you in the amount of time you put in

14. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Shhhh...she's probably up north salmon fishing....

FisherGal60 and retired dundo like this.
  15. FisherGal60

FisherGal60

Shhh....I can’t tell you yet...soon, very soon :)

Swampdog467, Scottygvsu and 6Speed like this.