Newbie Fisher Gal

Discussion in 'Michigan Women in the Out-Of-Doors' started by FisherGal60, Mar 25, 2019.

1. zzcop302

zzcop302 Premium Member

You are having a very successful year !!
    You have caught multiple species and it’s obvious you have learned to use a variety of baits, lures, and rigs....
    Your dedication and enthusiasm for fishing never flags !
    For those of us who follow you, I think we would all agree, that your success, especially for the short time you have been fishing, is inspiring, even to us who have been fishing for decades.
    It’s a great thing to follow, and watch, as you continue to post your outings.
    For me, I get a bigger kick out of reading your fishing posts than that of a seasoned angler..... you still have that brand new feeling of excitement and exploration of your new found interest that we all had at one time, and it comes out in your posts.
    And the best part ???
    It’s all about the “fun” of it for you.
    Some people kinda lose that part down the road which is sad.
    Keep the reports coming!
    Great pictures by the way!

Waif, Steve, Swampdog467 and 4 others like this.
  2. retired dundo

retired dundo

Some. Great catch those pike wer real nice.You sure do put in the time.I could never fish with you.Amount of time. You put in would probaly kill me

zzcop302, FisherGal60 and 6Speed like this.

3. Wyandotte

Wyandotte

The only garpike I've ever caught was right where you were. Far left side of the boardwalk there. I put mine back so maybe it was the same one :)

FisherGal60 likes this.
  4. FisherGal60

FisherGal60 Premium Member

C1405B34-6D27-4972-B07D-7BE5FF4237D2.jpeg LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS FOR FISHING TRAVERSE CITY AREA

So I’m heading up to TC for the first time over the 4th of July weekend. I already have Union Street Dam and the Boardman River on my list. But anything you can offer on what species of fish I might catch, how to catch them and where to catch them would be greatly appreciated. I am really stoked about getting out to the Lake Michigan side of the state!!

Scottygvsu and 6Speed like this.
  5. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Someone will probably help you here gal but if you to the Cold or Warm water fishing forums and start a thread, you may get faster results and time is short before your trip!

Good luck and have fun! I haven't been there in years but the fishing is good up there...

FisherGal60 likes this.
  6. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

??? Catch anything?

Big Frank 25, zzcop302 and Scottygvsu like this.
  7. retired dundo

retired dundo

Ya Iam looking forward to her report.Hers are my favorite how much she enjoys it and amount of time she puts in

Big Frank 25 and zzcop302 like this.
  8. FisherGal60

C0DE47D4-CABF-4A6D-BFCF-96A87785876D.jpeg Friday - July 3, 2020: So of course I get a late start but I figured I needed to sleep so that I would be awake for the drive up. I hit the road about 11:30am. Now mind you I have never been up north and never mind that it’s a holiday weekend to boot so...yep, traffic on 75. When I mapped my route, it said 3hrs 37mins (to the hotel in Kalkaska; since I got a late start it was better to check into the hotel first since Kalkaska was before Traverse City) so I thought that ETA was not too bad. But as I got up to Saginaw and Bay City the ETA was like stalled. I was driving but it seemed like it was stuck on 2.5 hours for an hour or more lol. Anyhow I arrived at the hotel at about 4:30pm so 3.5 hours turned into 5.

Check-in at the hotel was pleasant. The guy was originally from West Bloomfield and had just taken ownership a month ago. His family owns 2 other hotels in Kalkaska. If you need a place to just lay your head, it was a good place; nothing fancy, no frills but clean and comfortable; the Rodeway Inn.

So I head out and as I’m driving I see a sign for a boat launch at Lake Skegemog. That was one of the lakes I wanted to hit because the primary species in that lake is smallmouth bass. So I get to the launch and it’s packed with vehicles. I drive past the launch area and don’t see much open space to fish from but I park and I asked a guy if there was another public access area on the lake where you could fish. Unfortunately, he said no. This was the only public area on this huge lake. I couldn’t believe it. Despite the limited space I had to try. Unfortunately, it was really shallow; there were a couple darker areas that I casted into, but no luck. So now it was time to hit the Boardman River.

The drive into TC was amazing!! Seeing the bay for the first time was incredible. It was packed with people and you’d never know there was a pandemic going on. No masks, no social distancing; just people being ‘normal’ again. So I finally get to the river and the Union Street Dam was already in the process of being dismantled. I probably didn’t mention that three dams leading up to this one (this one being the fourth before the river empties into the bay) have already been removed. The goal is to restore the natural movement of fish in and out of the bay. So I start fishing on the top side of the dam and only caught a couple bluegill. Move down to the bottom of the ‘dam’. There were only 2 other people fishing there so I was concerned that that could mean it was NOT a good place to fish or maybe people were just busy due to the holiday.

Well I still stink at river fishing lol. After it got dark there were all of these fish flipping out of the water. I had my headlight on and still couldn’t tell what they were but they were maybe 7 to 9” long. So I’m looking into the water to try to see what they are and I kid you not, just to the right of where I was sitting I see a fish lying still. At first I thought it may have been a pike but then I realized it had too many spots to be a pike. It was a freakin trout! A beautiful trout!! Maybe about 16 to 18”. And I couldn’t catch him lol. All I caught were a few rock bass and a baby bullhead. I did have something on a sinker I had set out with a crawler but it broke off way before I even got it close.

So that’s day 1; will write more later. Have to go fish now...but stay tuned.
    (The photo is Lake Skegemog.)

Waif, TK81, 6Speed and 3 others like this.
  9. retired dundo

retired dundo

10. retired dundo

retired dundo

Sounds like your still having good time.Just seeing different area it sure is nice up north

FisherGal60 likes this.
  11. retired dundo

retired dundo

Fisher gal waiting for new reports.Really like yours

6Speed likes this.
  12. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Totally agree. Love watching this thread.

13. FisherGal60

84271B9D-4FFB-4F27-9598-280DC5C18291.jpeg 074A7CBC-8D99-450D-955B-D95CA18141A3.jpeg *^A NEW SPECIES!**

Monday - July 27, 2020: Things have been kind of slow, fishing wise, hence I haven’t been posting here very much. BUT, finally after more than 30 days I catch a sizeable fish lol.

I decided to go to Cass Lake after work. Picked up some minnows, crawlers and leeches on the way. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled into the boat launch area and there were only a handful of trailers there. Went to the pier as usual and tossed out my light tackle with a 1/4 oz weight and crawler. Had the ugly stick out with a bobber and a minnow and a zebco 202 out with a bobber and a crawler. The only thing I caught were teeny tiny bluegills and that oniy happened as I was reeling it in and got close to the dock.

So at about 8:00pm I pack up and head to the boat launch. I was really happy to see only 2 jet ski trailers!!! I started casting from the boat launch pier with the creature hawg, but nothing. The bottom had definitely changed since the last time I had fished it. After the jet skis came in I left the pier and set up to the left of the pier where there is some good high grass. Throw out the zebco 202 with a bobber and a minnow and just let it sit. In the mean time I was casting the light tackle out in front of me with a crawler, but only little ones were biting. Then about 9:00pm I see the bobber go down. I’m like okay, something is interested in it. But the bobber did NOT come back up. So I threw down the light tackle and pull up on the zebco. I was thinking it was probably a small fish and I was dragging weeds along with it as that has happened a lot this summer (I totally hate summer fishing lol). As I get the line about 10 to 15 feet away from me, the thrashing starts and I’m like, hell yeah, I got a BIG fish lol. Didn’t need a net as the shore abutted up to the land. Boy was I surprised when I yanked it out...my first BIG BOWFIN (I had caught a 12” at Lake Erie about a week before, which was my very first since I did not catch one last year). Man I was happy. He was 22”, need 27 for master angler lol. There was a dude in a pickup driving by just as I pulled the fish out and we just verified that it was in fact a “dogfish.” Someone told me earlier in the week that if you cut off the flesh on the backbone of a bowfin, boil it and dip it in melted butter that it taste like lobster...so guess who’s going to try it lol.

Anyhow, I set up another minnow and bobber, but did it on my ugly stick because it’s a stronger pole, but didn’t catch anything else as I had to leave at 10:00pm...arggghhh! Did I tell you how I can’t stand how they lock up fishing holes down here. When I was up north, there were no gates on the lakes and ponds. In any case I was very happy to catch a nice bowfin...more to come...stay tuned! 47732BC8-EDB1-45C2-B71C-D35AF7BD5013.jpeg F3D5ED51-C2AF-4CE3-B5BD-3DF87DC5430F.jpeg

Waif, zzcop302, Scottygvsu and 4 others like this.
  14. Waif

Waif

Great to get caught up with reading of your adventures Melody.
    No more rookie stripe for you....

Great variety and upgrades goin on. And the fun of new waters , and still the familiar waters too.

Thanks for taking us along!

Steve likes this.