Newago Deer Farm. 3 C.W.D. positives.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Waif, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Dish7

Dish7

The Sanctuary started with wild MI deer. Won't matter if their dead in a year, lol.

Piranha man and jr28schalm like this.
  2. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I believe all deer killed on deer ranches are tested.
    When I saw that 3 four year olds had tested positive, I was GUESSING that they had been killed by a hunter(client) and were found to be positive when the results of the testing came back.
    Would be interesting to know how many animals were killed and tested last year from this facility. How many were killed and tested this year ?

L & O

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

To clarify for myself.......these are 2 separate facilities, right ? Not 1 facility right on the county line so part is in Mecosta and part is in Newaygo.
    If 2 facilities, I sure hope they haven't moved any deer back-n-forth for a very long time. Would bet a lot of semen has gone back-n-forth.

L & O

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Did I miss a press release? Where did it say all positive cases were bucks? I called Jesse Sielski when the first press release was issued. He did not know the sex. Do you have a link?

jr28schalm likes this.
  5. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

My bad. Fixed it.

L & O

Luv2hunteup likes this.
  6. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

The land is leased last that I knew.. So I am not sure how this will play out for the landowners and the ranch..

This part of the ranch does indeed sit right on the Mecosta-Newaygo county line.. The facility being in Newaygo and it's Eastern border is against Mecosta county... There is also another part of the ranch farther east near Stanwood.. Ice Mountain gets a portion of their water from the Stanwood ranch..

Yes there was some moving of deer between these parts of the ranch.. It's limited but did happen... Also old info so not sure if relevant ..

Liver and Onions likes this.
  7. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Ice Mountain pumps water out of there, Nice o_O

jr28schalm likes this.
  8. Piranha man

Piranha man

I would like to know the prevalence rate of CWD in the captive deer herd verse the wild deer population in Michigan. I can't believe our great DNR still allows these operations to exist yet states that their concerned about slowing the spread. Decimate the wild whitetail to slow the spread but allow the farms to still operate? Again their more concerned about the future of the farmers than the sportsman

9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

~450 privately owned cervid facilities per the CWD response plan. Throw what ever you want about the average number of deer per licensed facility.

10. miruss

miruss

Last i knew the DNR has no control over FARMS it's a whole different agency that's in control.

11. TNL

TNL

Dept of Ag is in charge, but works with DNR with respect to CWD and TB.

12. Piranha man

Piranha man

It just seems like the DNR should be able to convince the department of AG to decimate the whitetails inside the farms like they convince the hunters to decimate the whitetails in the wild.
    And-
    Why is the department of agriculture involved in hiring the sharpshooters for the whitetail in the wild?
    we Outdoorsman are sharpshooters that generate revenue and that is MORE important to our dnr than hunter satisfaction

Sparky23 likes this.
  13. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

This situation makes me want to pull my hair out! Money can be a terrible thing.

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It’s been a couple of weeks since the announcement. How is the depopulation going plus have there been any other CWD deer found in the enclosure?

15. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

I haven't been over to see how it's been going... I might take a spin down the road to see if there are any signs of progress..

Luv2hunteup likes this.