New to Grand Rapids. Kayak fishing spots? buddies?

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by CAkid78, Apr 9, 2018.

1. CAkid78

CAkid78

New to Grand Rapids and looking to get into kayak fishing. Wondering if there are a lot of people out here that do that. If so, any lakes in particular you like?? Would anyone want to show me the ropes? Let me know, any info would be helpful.

2. Sparky23

Sparky23

Lots of good gravel pits and small lakes in the Jenison. The grand can be great for many species. Lots of lakes northeast of town. They can all be good for certain species.

Trout King likes this.

3. Trout King

Trout King

I think you may find the bayous between Grand Rapids and Lake Michigan interesting. Pick some out and try them. Never know what you are going to get into. Panfish, perch, pike, and bass can all be caught in them. I used to go get some meals of panfish out of a couple when I was a student at GVSU. I'm not growing any third eye or anything...yet ;)

Sparky23 likes this.
  4. Stand By

Stand By

Check out the thornapple river in Barry county for pike, small out, etc. Muskegon river to the north for just about all species. Below Croton would be a good spot to cut your teeth on some fly fishing. Croton pond in the summer if you want to sight fish carp in the shallows.