New to Fishing

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Zoey Chulski, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Zoey Chulski

Zoey Chulski

This is my first post here and to fishing as a whole so bear with me if I don't know what i'm talking about. I recently invested in a fairly cheap rod and reel setup and got a farily assorted collection of tackle. The problem that I have is because I don't have a boat i'm limited to shore fishing. I don't really know if any good spots to shore fish in the Caledonia area. I hit the Thornapple river this morning at 68th street but they didn't want to bite anything that I threw them. Maybe because the river was moving so fast i'm not sure. My roomate told me to hit Campau lake but short of casting off the public dock that seemed like kinda a bad idea. If anybody has any tips for me that would be great. I have been going to Millennium Park for the last week but I haven't gotten as much as a nibble there, same story for the gravel pits in Jenison.

6667supersport and 6Speed like this.
  2. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

6667supersport likes this.

3. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Welcome to the site. What kind of fish are you after? My suggestion would be to settle in on one species and do as much research here as possible. Shore fishing can be tough.

4. Waif

Waif

Multiple places existed on the Thornapple to fish from shore when I lived in the area. Granted it's been a while..
    68th this time of year often had fish in limited areas. Being shallow the fish want/need more than shallows to hang out in when not active. There is a brief deep spot but the current and structure will not help matters...

Campau has a public dock now? (I lived on Kettle which is attached by channels, years ago.)

Get a few more posts in so you can p.m./start private conversations.
    Posting fishing spots with limited room or access on public forums can be a negative.
    More so with those already fishing them.

Hang in there and keep at it.

6667supersport likes this.
  5. Zoey Chulski

Zoey Chulski

I'm mainly after fish for eating! Panfish mainly but I wouldn't be against like perch or salmon although I know it's not salmon season yet. I wouldn't be against just going out to just catch some bass and go home either. I'm trying to stay away from stuff that has pointy things on it lol. you know pike, catfish, sunfish.

Yes Campau has a public dock but it's not easy to find and when I was there Saturday it was quite busy and I didn't want to be that girl that is out casting line off the dock while people are trying to bring their boats in. Plus with that kinda traffic I would think as a fish I wouldn't want to be hanging out there.

I have a whole bunch of tackle that I can fish with so that's not much of an issue its just that I can't seem to get anything to bite. I got a little small mouth the other day at lakeside park, but it wasnt very busy and for the 3 hours I was out there it was the only bite I got. Maybe it's just too hot still for the fish to come out of the deeper water yet. I don't know maybe im just a poor fisherwomen lmao

6. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I would also suggest doing a Google search for river fishing articles from In-Fisherman.

7. Zoey Chulski

Zoey Chulski

im looking into this right now.

8. skagitmaster

skagitmaster

9. shoprat51

shoprat51

10. 6667supersport

6667supersport

If your just learning how to fish or are in the beginners stage it would best for you to fish a lake or pond, rather than moving water. Moving water puts a different twist on things. For panfish a simple bobber with a split shot and hook with a small piece of worm would be all you need.

Hopefully someone in your local can help you out with spots to fish that would be more productive or be able to fish with some one that's local could show you the ropes some what.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Wannabe Angler likes this.
  11. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

While I agree that fishing moving water has its own special challenges, it also has some advantages. Current, and more importantly currents breaks can concentrate fish into smaller areas. Places such as eddies, regardless of size is often an easy spot to see and fish like to see it these spots waiting for food to wash downstream to them. Fish will also sit behind large rocks, logs, or other obstructions right out in the middle of a river waiting for the same opportunity. Outside bends in a river also tends to be deeper which means you can normally concentrate your efforts there, rather than the much shallower inside part of a bend.

Finally and perhaps most importantly, most fish tend to be positioned facing the current. This makes it much easier to approach fish holding water (from the downstream direction), and throwing your bait in a quartering direction upstream. Then the trick is to allow your bait to move along at the current's speed as it washes down towards fish holding spots.

Waif likes this.
  12. Waif

Waif

A repeated study of a creek and fish holding areas in it during varied activity stages can be transferred to a river. The creek being an easier due to dimensions studied.

In skinny water , or water where fish are nearer shore I check the background the fish see toward on the bank.
    (There's a reason a green vest and blue shirt have been involved in many catches.)

13. piketroller

piketroller

Late summer is prime wet wading season in big creeks and small rivers. Put on your swimming trunks, and old pair of shoes, grab a rod, a couple lures & your license and start fishing. Work you way upstream casting at a variety of angles from straight upstream to 45 degree quartering away, to almost perpendicular to the flow. If you fish stretches without weeds, in-line spinners or minnow baits work well. If it’s weedy, find something more weedless like soft plastics rigged properly. There are waters within 30 minutes of where you are that 100 fish smallmouth days are possible if you hit the water clarity just right.

westsidepolack likes this.
  14. Crankenstien

Crankenstien

1/4 ounce jig with a 2-3 in curly tail body. Learn how to fish that bait, then expand your options. White or green pumpkin colors. Keep it simple at first.

15. MickL

MickL

Yes, just because you don't have a boat doesn't mean you are limited to shore/pier fishing. If you find you like wading, you will eventually want to get waders. When the water feels too chilly for wet wading, waders will keep you fishing well into the Fall... another great season for river fishing. Waders are my best/favorite piece of fishing equipment.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020