New to centerpin, have question

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Steve, Apr 2, 2019.

1. wyandot

wyandot

Bingo. When I first started 20 feet was about tops and rarely could I get through an outing without a trip ending bushel basket full of junk mono. Pull cast, side cast, Wallis cast, who cares? So long as you're getting it where it needs to be I'm happy.

252Life and jmaddog8807 like this.
  2. 252Life

252Life

Instead of the rubberbands or hair ties, a soft gun case works GREAT for carrying the pin. There is 1 on amazon that is long enough for my 13', 3 piece and there is a little butt pocket to keep everything tidy

3. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Hank and Son Tackle on Coates Hwy by Brethren sell some real nice rod cinches for around 2-$3 for a pair, I’ve been using them for a while now.

4. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Another question. .... How do guys go about folding up a 3 piece centerpin rod and line for transport so you don't have big mess?

6. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

3 piece rods can be tricky, just take the float off and reel the terminal tackle to the tip, fold the middle section down to the handle, and the tip section back upward facing away from the butt section and secure the pieces together. I prefer a 2 or 4 piece rod myself for ease of transport, the 4 piece rods can be broken down into 4 pieces, or just broken down into 2 pieces by just taking it apart in the middle.

Treven and flyrodder46 like this.
  7. Treven

Treven Banned

Exactly! Nice write-up.

mquinnan and Bob Hunter like this.
  8. Treven

Treven Banned

As far as the boobie tassle cinches, I think they look ridiculous. I'd use a rubber band before I'm caught with those. Black hair bands are perfect, cheap, and don't mar up your blank.

As far as casting, learn to BC cast for everything. Think of your centerpin spool just like a baitcaster spool and learn to let your rod do more work than you think. Also, practice in the yard or park. Bet I had 40hours in the yard before I took it down the gauntlet.

Bob Hunter likes this.