New spinning reel question

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by chiefsLB59, Jun 9, 2010.

1. chiefsLB59

chiefsLB59

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new spinning reel. I am looking for a nice spinning reel that will be able to hold a good amount of line but not weigh a ton. I am looking to spend around $100 but would consider going up in price if I would be sacrificing quality for a cheaper model. Was hoping for a little direction as to brand and model. I currently have a Shimano Sedona that does the job, however the bail does not flip over and does not hold nearly enough line if spooling with 8lb test. I want a good quality reel that will last me years to come (Sedona hasn't lasted less than a year). I primarily walleye and bass fish but fish for steelies in the spring. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Matt V

Matt V

I am a big fan of Shimano's, I have several Sedona's, Symetre's and Stradic's. All have performed flawlessly for year's. I have had a couple of them so long that I can't even remember when I bought them, it has to be close to 20 year's now.

3. CrappieSLO

CrappieSLO

I prefer the Pflueger Supreme for the weight if your fishing all day. Can't complaint about the Shimano Symetre for how smooth that reel is for me. The only reel that I wouldn't recommend is the Team Daiwa TD-Pro currently on sale @ BPS. Got 2 reels and they both had issue with the pin on the handle that tend to sly out... have to wrap tape around it to prevent it from falling out

4. CrazyJ

CrazyJ

Gander Mtn. Tournament. 11 bearings, smooth drag & comes with 2 spools. I've been using my 40 series a few times a week for 2 years catfishin. Its been in many rain storms, dunked in the water, and taken quite a beating. No problems with it at all, and still as smooth as a babys behind. Of course i keep it well maintained. They come in 4 sizes that i know of: 25, 30, 35 and 40. They run about $60. Only small issue i had with mine was that i had to remove 1 shim from under the spool because it sat a tad to high causing the line to gather more towards the bottom of the spool. No biggie.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ramlund man

ramlund man

Diawa Team Advantage----super smooth----good line capacity----unbelieveable drag system and feels like a precision piece of equipment in your hand----$160 at Cabelas---- keep in mind that it's the first non- Shimano that I've ever owned and I ain't goin back

6. DE82

DE82 Banned

Shimano Symetre is awesome, be sure to close the bail with your hand though, it doesn't matter what reel or brand you have it hurts the reel to not close it with your hand over time.

7. chiefsLB59

chiefsLB59

Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely be taking a look at some of the reels mentioned above. Anyone ever have any experience with the Quantum PT energy reels? I picked one up at Cabelas a few years back and it felt very smooth. Is it worth the extra money or would I just be paying more for a cool finish?

8. Flash

Flash

Shimano Symetre 4000. I also spool up 3 Spirex's and one Solstace - all rear drag.

Just moved to Diawa baitcasters this past winter and if their spinning reels (Team Diawa Advantage) are as nice as the 153HSTA baitcasters - then they should be seriously considered.

9. Chad Smith

Chad Smith Premium Member

I used to be real high and mighty towards Quantum, over the years I have owned several spinners and casters including the Energy PTs spinners and casters. I currently have the spinners in the 5 and 10 series, I like them, they are a good reel but the Tour may be the one that is actually worth its price tag. If I remember correctly they come with an extra spool, so thats a plus, I don't have anything bad to say about them, I have caught plenty of fish with no problems.

I bought the Shimano Sahara over the ice season and REALLY liked it, so I was kind of turned on to Shimano. Well I went to the spring boat show at D"n"R in Kzoo and saw the Shimano Stratic CI4. The Shimano rep only had 2 (1000 & 2000) which were on display, I told him I want 1000 and since he had another in the 2000 series he sold me the 1000. This is by far the smoothest reel I have ever used, the drag is SUPER adjustable, and it is made of carbon fiber making it the lightest reel and rust free.

I bought mine when it was on back order, they might be in stock now, I'm not looking for a reel ATM so I dont pay attention to them when I am out but if you can swing the extra $100 or so it is well worth it. Like I said I have nothing bad to say about Quantum but Shimano does specialize in gears so it does make sense they build a good reel.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  10. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster Premium Member

Do yourself a favor and check out the Diawa Exceler line. $70 and by far the smoothest you'll fine under $100. The drag is smooth and spot on. To match it, you have to buy the $150 Shimano Stradic which is a great reel as well!. I have a bunch of Quantums and Shimano's and all have been good to me. Shimano no longer offers a free extra spool....not a deal breaker but still. My next couple spinners will likely be Diawa.

11. chiefsLB59

chiefsLB59

I have been taking a real serious look at this reel and noticed that they do not come with a spare spool. I have also tried to look online for a spare spool but to no avail. Anyone know where you can pick up spare spools for these Shimano's? I would really like to have a spare spool so that I don't have to strip 100+ yards of line off every time I decide to switch species.

12. deadboi77

deadboi77

Give the company a ring.I'm sure they will help you out.

13. DE82

DE82 Banned

You will have to order it from them. I ordered mine for my size 1000 symetre and it was 25bucks

14. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Not sure about the newer ones but the older Quantum PT's magnetic anti reverse would mess up in cold weather.
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. Fecus

Fecus

+1 shimano

I have a stradic, 2 symetres, a sedona, a sahara a curado and a curado 300. Love em.

It would be hard to make me get another mft.