close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Smyrna Beach surf fishing

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by Meatetr, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Meatetr

Meatetr

Hi
    I'm going to be vacationing on New Smyrna Beach the 3rd week of February, and have been trying to find a good fishing web site like this one for that area, but am not having much luck. I am going to be Surf fishing from the beach. Last year I didn't bring any fishing stuff but after seeing a few guys surf fishing figured I could goof around with that while the wife was laying on the beach. I tried to talk to a few guys that were fishing on the beach as per the norm some were helpful some were not. So with all that being said if anyone knows of a good web site I would appreciate it thanks

2. Floater

Floater

I have gone to New Smyrna the last two years during the first week of April and did the same as you, fish while at the beach with the family. There really isn't a lot of info on the web for this area so I just stuck to the basics. The first thing you need to do is hit the Walmart to get the PVC beach rod holders. They are less than $5 at Walmart and about $15 at the beachfront bait shops. I used basically 2 hook perch rigs with pyramid sinkers. You do need more weight than you would expect to hold in the surf. I used 4 ounce sinkers. Just baited up with frozen shrimp, squid strips, cutbait from things I caught and crabs that my kids caught on the beach. I tied my own rigs before the trip. No real need for heavy duty gear. I think I used 20lb fluorocarbon with small, light wire, circle hooks. I used the circle hooks cuz your rods may be a bit down the beach from where your kids are swimming. I used 7' ugly sticks with 20lb power pro. The main catch, for me at least, were catfish. Lots of them. Mostly small but with some hitting the 5 pound size. Whiting came in a close second in terms of quantity. From there it was a real mix. I caught bluefish, redfish, black drum, flounder, pompano, jacks, snapper, rays, shark and a bunch of other weird ocean fish. Nothing huge but fun and kept me and the kids busy. Occasionally I would throw out a wire rig on a bigger setup with a small whole fish for bait. Had a few rips but never connected with anything big. The local guys have far more sophisticated setups and live bait. They seem to focus on Pompano. I don't keep what I catch there so species doesn't really matter to me. You really don't have to wait long for bites there.

3. Chromelander

Chromelander

Try Florida sportsman forum and start asking questions. Somebody will point you in the right direction.

Radar420 likes this.
  4. Radar420

Radar420

Florida sportsman and the hull truth should both have info on fishing down there.

5. NancyJ

NancyJ

fish it alot, for pompano,and everything else.I catch sand fleas at the waters crest ,use a # 6 circle hook on a 20# leader,to a barrel swivel,ad a 1/2oz. egg sinker that is free to slide,drop it inbetween the first sand bar and shore,take in your slack and hang on !

6. Meatetr

Meatetr

Thanks for the info I appreciate that, is the leader a wire leader?

7. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Usually not needed unless the Spanish come in

8. Floater

Floater

I always have a few wire leaders with me but, so far, have never needed to put them on.