New reel question/input???

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by nighttime, Dec 12, 2017.

1. nighttime

nighttime

I’m finally in the market for a high end pin, looking around $500-750ish. I’m fishing a glx 1562 and would like to match it up with something sexy but one that fishes excellent any suggestions??? Paine falls, Colville, kingpin, islander...etc. don’t want to rush the decision. I’m thinking 5”??

2. wyandot

wyandot

5" for sure IMO. If you prefer a solid, square backplate reel with a square rim and classic looks, I don't think a Milner Kingfisher (or the Labrador and Big E variants of the Kingfisher) can be beat. If you're looking for a rounded backing plate, rounded spool rim style reel with a more radical look, check out an EBA.

3. nighttime

nighttime

Non ported back plate for sure

4. wyandot

wyandot

I thought so too until I owned one. I've yet to have an issue with it.

5. nighttime

nighttime

So no issues,but don’t like the non ported I’m taking it or is it the cold of the solid or weight?

6. wyandot

wyandot

I've owned Raven, Milner and Riverkeeper reels with solid backplates and enjoyed fishing all of them with zero complaints. I currently own an EBA with the ported backplate (4-spoke) and honestly haven't had a problem with dirt or snow getting in the reel as others claim. The actual weight savings you gain with a ported backplate may or may not be wothwhile, but it is noticeable. I wear rag wool gloves most of the season, so I never really noticed my solid backplate reels being colder than my ported one.

nighttime likes this.
  7. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I’ll chime in, I just prefer the added weight of a solid plate to help me balance my rig with weight where I want it. Also the security of no access for grit, lastly I watch a kid in tears last year as we motored by, I said “man that must have been a nice king!” The dad said back “no man hoping he didn’t break his finger! Got it caught between spool and plate and that king took off hard!” That was a raven fully ported.

As for brand, I’ve fished a few. I own two Milners. Only other one I’ve fished and is on my wishlist is a Paine falls. Good luck!

nighttime likes this.
  8. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Of the current production/custom reels, I think Milner Kingfisher, and Paine Falls DeMarco are the way that I would go. I have owned DeMarco's and still own both a standard Kingfisher and a custom Kingfisher that John made for me and loved them all. The EBA is a great reel either in the solid plate or the ported version, I have handled Wyandot's and it is one of the smoothest that I have had in my hands. That is my 2cw, there are a lot of other good reels out there, but for the money, I don't think you can beat any of the three mentioned so far.

D

nighttime likes this.
  9. nighttime

nighttime

Ty for the replies, I plan to buy after the 1st so I have some time to scratch my head. Looking forward to fishing my buddies Colville this week, I’ll see if he’ll let me put it on my glx. He also has a hale he said he’d let me fish while we’re out but I don’t plan on touching long. So excited to for a new pin!!! Choosing one the hard part plus finding and getting your hands on some of these.

10. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Fish that Hale, they are one of the nicest reels I have ever had in hand/fished. Treat it with care, and be prepared to walk home if you damage it. ;)

D

nighttime likes this.
  11. nighttime

nighttime

Surprised how skinny the spool is

12. slightofhand

slightofhand

I have a couple Colville’s a islander a Milner and another custom reel from a small reel maker. All of them are great and nice to switch back and forth at times. 5” is best all around though I have some 5.5 also. If you put a gun to my head I would go Colville. They are just so solid and the spool porting is huge imo for drainage off the line. The clicker is outstanding and does not protrude from the rim like islander Milner and others. All USA made with traditional look. Demarco are a little too space age looking to me personally. You will own them all someday!

nighttime likes this.
  13. cowpie

cowpie

I'm new to centerpin fishing so take it for what its worth. I'm a bass guy and usually have a dozen rods on he front deck while bass fishing with a few more in the rod lockers . I hope I can keep this to a one maybe two outfit affair and took the buy once cry once approach. Ended up with a trinity from coleville. Danny was great to work with he answered all my questions and was a wealth of info. I feel I got a great reel with a touch of artwork on the back plate !!!!

sphunt and nighttime like this.
  14. wyandot

wyandot

Did you get the one with the pot leaves on it?

Benz, AdamBradley and troutguy26 like this.
  15. cowpie

cowpie