New pole & rod

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by KPOD, Jul 6, 2010.

1. DaveW731

DaveW731

You will be VERY happy you did. I was basing my advice on the assumption that you already purchased the casting rod. One additional advantage of a spinning outfit is that you will usually be able to buy a reel with an extra spool. By putting different lines on the two spools, you will increase the flexibility of the outfit.

2. SCOUTER

SCOUTER

Try a zebco platinum 33 or ul3. They cast smooth and no backlash problems.

3. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

There are many fine casting or conventional reels out there, but it takes time and practice to use them properly. If you want a simple and easy to use outfit, get a spinnning rod and properly matched reel, not a "spinner..."

Also, back off the reel drag at the end of the trip, versus just throwing the rod and reel in the rod locker until next time.

4. jigworm

jigworm

My wife uses a a newer Abumatic. So far so good, casts great and has a decent drag. I think I paid around $35 for it, but not sure. She had a Diawa Goldcast before that lasted about 5 years. There are lots of good mid priced rods out there. Berkly's Lightning Rods are nice for the price. Ugly Sticks are good if your looking for a tough rod that'll last forever, but I prefer a lighter rod thats easier to cast all day long.