New pole & rod

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by KPOD, Jul 6, 2010.

1. KPOD

KPOD

Looking to buy a new pole as my old one that I have used for the longest time is getting pretty beat up. I've never actually bought a pole, or even shopped for one really, everything I've used has either been given to me or I've won. I don't really think I want to buy a combo, I'd rather get a good rod and a good reel separately and put them together. I mainly fish panfish, bass, and pike. I'd really like to spend $30 or less for the rod, and another $30 or so on a casting reel (can't stand spinners). Anyone have some suggestions based on my price range + type of fish?

Edit: I'm leaning towards an Ugly Stick in either the light/ultra light flavor, probably around 6 ft at most (not a fan of the 7 ft poles).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. sslopok

sslopok

Ugly stick all the way. I believe they are just under $28. You get a nice reel and you are ready to go. For 30 bux you can probably get a nice reel with 5-6 ball bearings. I love my ugly sticks, tough as hell.
    sslopok

3. DE82

DE82 Banned

I use a 5' ultra light ugly stick. I mostly trout and panfish but do walleye and bass from time to time and do well.

4. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Costco has a good deal on fugly stick combos .

5. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

5 foot ultra light ugly stick makes even the smallest panfish fight hard and is tough enough for a salmon but not recommended

6. KPOD

KPOD

Thanks guys, I found a medium action 6 foot Fugly Stick for $15 at Dunhams, I think I'm gonna go back later tonight and get it. They didn't have any light/ultra light action poles, and the ones at Dicks that were seemed like the tips would snap off once I got some bass action going :sad:

On that note, at Dicks they had a Takara TK100SH-CP bait casting reel for $49.99, originally $79.99, plus I have a $10 off $25 coupon which would make it $39.99. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3986258

I am not a fan of spinning reels and was gonna get a casting reel, until I saw they had these bait casting reels. What advantage, if any does a bait casting reel have over a normal casting reel? And for $40, does that look like a solid pickup for that Ugly Stick? One guy commented he had a hard time casting anything weighing less than 1/4 oz, so it would not cast 3" grubs that well?

Thanks for the advice so far :fish:

7. DE82

DE82 Banned

If you don't like spinning gear I don't recommend you go the bait casting rout, the backlashes and tangles you get until you get the hang of it are pretty bad

8. KPOD

KPOD

The method of casting appeared to be similar to are regular casting reel, press a button, wind up, and let it fly. You're saying it's not like that, and more like a spinning reel? Any suggestions then on good normal casting reels?

9. jasnooks

jasnooks

X2 on that. Nice find on the ugly stik for $15, thats about half the price i usually see em for. Btw, keep in mind that there is a difference between a casting rod and a spinning rod. Casting rod usually has a "pistol grip" with small guides all the way up the rod. Spinning rod has a "straight" grip with a large guide closest to the reel and they get progressively smaller towards the tip.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. diztortion

diztortion

Berkley Cherry Woods are nice. I have a spinning rod in 7' that I use for lake fishing. They usually run in the $20 range. I just started using a bait caster about a month ago. I've actually done pretty good with it and only have had one major backlash. It does take time to adjust to, but I think it will make a difference.

11. DE82

DE82 Banned

Baitcasting reels you have to "thumb" the spool on every cast unless you have a really nice high dollar one. It's not like a simple casting reel at all. Myself, I don't like them but they were developed for bass fishing and I rarely do bass fishing :lol:

I can't really help with a casting reel, I don't like them at all. Not smooth enough for me and don't hold enough line. I use shimano spinning reels. that being said my Dad had some good luck with diawa underspin reels which is like a casting reel only it mounts like a spinning reel, so you can use a spinning rod. They're cheep too, check it out :)

12. KPOD

KPOD

Yea, I thought it was a decent price, and it is a casting rod, not a spinning rod. That's the first thing I noticed was that "hey, they actually still make casting rods even though everyone seems to use spinners :yikes:"

Alright man, I'll check those out. Thanks :coolgleam

13. DaveW731

DaveW731

KPOD: Just for the sake of terminology, I think you will usually see the type of reel you are interested in referred to as either a "spincast" or a "push-button" reel.
    Since you already have a casting pole, do NOT get the underspin style of reel, since they require spinning poles. With that said, you are looking specifically for a spincast reel that sits on top of the pole and Diawa (IMO) makes some pretty good reels in that style. I'd suggest going to the online BassPro catalogue and doing some comparisons between the reels of the different companies (Diawa, Zebco and others) that are there. In the catlogue, they are listed as "Spincast".
    Do yourself a favor: the Ugly stik will probably last long enough for you to pass it down to your grandchildren, so don't be afraid to put out a few extra $$ to get a better quality reel. Spincasts in general are not as durable as either spinning or baticasting reels, so beware of "bargain" prices.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  14. KPOD

KPOD

Well I haven't picked up the casting rod yet, it's still sitting at the store waiting for me :D Maybe I should just get a spinning rod and learn how to properly use a spinning reel :dizzy: Sounds like there aren't many good casting reels anymore, and they have quite a few disadvantages compared to a casting.

15. DE82

DE82 Banned

Spinning reels are easy, just remember to close the bail with your hand and the line problems are at a minimum plus it makes for better fishing when using smaller baits too.

A Shimano symetre is what I use but that will run you 100 bucks. You can get a size 1000 lower end shimano that is pretty nice and pay around 40-50 and the reel will last you many many years to come :)