New hunter/ gun owner

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by nts93, Nov 24, 2020.

1. nts93

nts93

Good evening,
    I’m new to hunting this year and fresh into guns/bows. I purchased a crossbow and have been getting familiar with it but would like to get a .22 for small game. Do I have to go through a background check and a waiting period for a .22 and a muzzled loader?

Thanks for any help! Just would like to know the process I have ahead of me.

2. Rasher

Rasher

If you buy the .22 from a retailer then yes, private sale no. On the Muzzleloader from a retailer I wanna say you dont but I guess it depends on WHO you buy it from, I bought my last one right from CVA no paperwork and they mailed it right to me, and again if you buy one from a private person then no for sure.

3. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Ruger 10-22 is a great squirrel gun

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

toots likes this.
  4. nts93

nts93

T
    hats the one I was looking at. Glad to hear it’s a good gun!

5. nts93

nts93

It seems like it’s a lot harder to find private sales now that there’s no where to advertise and gabraltors shut down so there’s no gun shows there anymore

6. reddog1

reddog1

The ATF Bureau does not consider a muzzle loader a firearm. You just have to be 18 to buy one. However some Thompson Center muzzle loaders that have interchangeable barrels and can be turned into a rifle will need a 4473 form filled out and then a background check.

nts93 and November Sunrise like this.
  7. Rasher

Rasher

Hey 93, mgo has threads dedicated to handgun, long gun and ammo, all for sale. Might just find what your looking for.

November Sunrise likes this.
  8. nts93

nts93

Thanks for that I didn’t know about that website. I’m checking it out now

9. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

You only need a background on the 22 and at least for me it's never take too long right in store and you leave with the gun within the hour. I wouldn't worry about it. Look at the used rack for good deals.

Fishfighter likes this.