New guy looking for tips

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by KinOfDarwin, Jan 10, 2021.

1. KinOfDarwin

KinOfDarwin

Seeing that right away! Already blown half my day reading hunt stories lol

2. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

Welcome to Michigan! I’d recommend hunting squirrels in the off-season, it will teach you a lot about how to hunt, I.e. how to stay quiet and develop instincts. Coyote season is open too.

Your first gun should be a 12 gauge pump. Either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. You can hunt literally every species in Michigan with one. Get a slug barrel for deer hunting and you’re golden. If you have the money, get a pump and a .450 bushmaster.

KinOfDarwin likes this.

3. ReallyBigFish

ReallyBigFish

And just so you're clear, the $5 just assures you the right to buy a $20 tag. That is if you win the drawing.

Welcome and good luck.

4. KinOfDarwin

KinOfDarwin

We are going rabbit/squirrel hunting in a few weeks actually! I already have a residential squirrel in my freezer because my mom's dog is a killer and slow squirrels get shook! She visits the kids every few months (lives out of state) and the dog treats my house like a hunting lodge!

My first gun was actually a 12 gauge pump, a mossberg 500 tact. I loved it and plinked it for years until selling it a few years ago. After my hunting money is refreshed next year I plan on looking at the Remington 870s for sure. It seems like an easy way to get one is just get an express and switch the stock out later if I want. My father in law does all of his hunting with one except for small game. He is usually bringing home a couple of deer each year with it.

I just scored a savage axis 350L at dunhams for 379 after taxes, bore sighted scope comes mounted. Now I am on the quest of trying to find ammo to start getting familiar with the round and rifle. I'm very excited. :)

Great comment thank you for the advice, pretty much dead nuts inline with what my plan is moving forward!

5. boydaway605

boydaway605

Get a 30-06 or 6.5 creedmore .any ruger or tikka or Winchester. don’t bother getting a suppressor most people end up regretting it.
    Most importantly try a tree saddle just one sit and you’ll never go back. I Can’t hunt in Michigan without one now

KinOfDarwin likes this.
  6. KinOfDarwin

KinOfDarwin

That is the first I've seen one of those. You can sit up there for hours eh?

7. KinOfDarwin

KinOfDarwin

Just wanted to thank everyone who commented and PMed me. Picked up 4 boxes of ammo for my new gun today because of tips over PM. You guys absolutely rock!

8. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Its a great site like I told ya.. Very few dicks, still a couple but not many.
    With your attitude you'll make friends. Glad we could help!

KinOfDarwin likes this.
  9. Hammer62

Hammer62

Welocome to the hunting fraternity....its an addiction!

KinOfDarwin likes this.