close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New gun

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Allseasonhunt, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Jay1977

Jay1977

I would say both hit a bear to kill but most your shots will be short so pick the one you want or if there’s a deal on the gun get it. Shot a bear with a 35 rem. It’s what you feel comfortable with. Seen a guy that hunted in Canada with us and hit a bear with one it is a for sure a great bear round they don’t make it far being hit with that marlin. That’s my personal opinion. Short shots around 150 it will kill anything on you would hunt. The guy that had that gun said it was a great gun!

Allseasonhunt likes this.
  2. Jay1977

Jay1977

A
    also the gun is short and you can maneuver in brush cedar swamps etc. I would recommend it for sure

3. Rick1973

Rick1973

Recommend the .45/70. Lots of ammo options and is available. Have the 1895 w/22" barrel since '74-'75?? (Make sure it has a recoil pad. Mine didn't even though I bought it new. Shot it prone 1 time.) I load for it. Shot deer at 15-75 yds. Shot a zebra at 110-115 yds and gemsbok at 100 yds. Used Barnes TSX 250 gr around 2,200 fps. 1 kill shots. On the 15 yd deer from a tree stand: quartering to me, about 30-40 degrees down angle; hit right front ball in shoulder joint (broke into 5 pieces), ricocheted across to left shoulder, hit the ball of the shoulder joint (broke it into 3 pieces), then ricocheted up the neck under the hide, stopping a few inches below the jaw. Lost only 1 petal. Son and I found it when processing. Awesome bullet!