close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gun Questions.

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by Football75, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM.

1. Football75

Football75

Need to upgrade and I am thinking of buying either the Mossburg 500 Turkey Thug or the Remington 870 Super Mag. Maybe some insider knowledge from owners of either will make the choice more clear.

2. d_rek

d_rek

Can't go wrong with either gun IMO, but i'd ask yourself if you really need the super mag receiver.

Personally I don't care to shoot magnum shells out of my 870. Kicks like a goddamn mule and beats the **** out of your shoulder and cheek if you're not careful.

buck11pt24 and Football75 like this.

3. backstrap bill

backstrap bill

Yep what d_rek said

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. GADWALL21

GADWALL21

Either gun would be great but I’d be more concerned with what ammo & choke constriction you’re using. This is where you will get your greatest accuracy. I switched to the Long Beard XR a few years back after watching the Drury’s dusting birds at some unheard of distances & haven’t looked back. Carlson makes a choke that is paired with this ammo. I have a Winchester model 1300 12 ga. I won 20 years ago at a NWTF banquet. I put Tru-Glo fiber optic sights on the ribbed barrel ( similar to iron sights ), Carlson’s .660 Long Beard XR choke, & shoot Long Beard XR 3” 1-3/4 oz. 6 shot. Yes it will beat the daylights out of your shoulder sighting in but when the adrenalines running when the old Thunder Chickens strutting out front you’ll never notice it. You can also google Winchester pattern board and there is a bunch of info. there that might help narrow your search down instead of buying a bunch of ammo. You’ll still have to bench test it because every gun shoots different. Good luck!

5. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Yeah as mentioned above, chokes, ammo are so good. Gun is what ya want, not what you think you need. Find what fits you and roll from there.

6. Hunter1979

Hunter1979 Staff Member Mods

Just to throw a monkey wrench into your plans, it looks like Remington may file for bankruptcy. Now, I don't think they'll go away, but it is concerning to me. Also, I haven't heard many great things about their quality as of late.

I know it's not on your list, but I prefer a Benelli Supernova over both. I found mine on GunBroker for $425ish. I got a pistol grip stock for it, which I love, and it has a 24" barrel... Easier to maneuver in blinds and brush.

Things I would get no matter what make:
    1. 24" barrel
    2. Pistol grip stock
    3. Red dot scope
    4. Longbeard XR ammo with the XR choke. I shoot the 3.5" out of it. Definitely felt it sighting it in. Don't feel it at all when there's a turkey in the sights. Easily accurate to 40yds.

Good luck. Please post pictures of your turkey slayer whatever you decide!

Sent from my Droid

7. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I have a 870 super mag. Bought it in August of 2011 as I got back into hunting. I didn’t exactly know what I was going to hunt but, I felt with the super mag I had options. Also, there wasn’t the limited rifle zone back than.

My 870 has worked flawlessly unlike what I am hearing from 870/ other Remington guns purchased in the last couple of years( Probally explains why Remington is filling for bankruptcy protection). However, the fit and finish is rough in some spots. I don’t expect a $450 (combo) to be a $2000 gun but, they could have chamfered the inside edges around the ejection port ( I am QC at large production machine shop) and some of the eternal parts. Doing these little things does not take that long to do. It will rust looking at water untill you tear it all apart and soak the metal in the bath tub to get rid of the Excess blueing salts(there is a thread some where around here on it) The super mag is heavier than a regular 870, I am a big guy that does not bother me I can walk around with it all day. Overall I am happy with it. It is the first gun I bought my self so I will not be getting rid of it. If I had to do it all over again I would look at a older 870 super mag. You could prolly pick a used one up in good condition 250-300 bucks ( with out both barrels on the lower end)if you looked around hard enough.

8. Woodsman27

Woodsman27

I shoot the same shells and recently purchased Williams fiber optic sights. Thanks for mentioning the Carlsons Long Beard chokes, I had never heard of them. I checked them out on their website and may have to purchase one.

9. GADWALL21

GADWALL21

You won’t be disappointed!!

Woodsman27 likes this.
  10. Hunting18

Hunting18

I had a 870 Super Mag and it kicked something terrible. I sold that and purchased a Remington 11-87 and have been very impressed. I know that wasn't one of your choices but I love it for anything from small game hunting, turkey hunting to deer hunting.

11. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

I've owned both an 870 and 500, both were great guns, both put turkeys on the table and neither one ever gave me a lick of problems. That being said I moved on from both of those for hunting turkey to an SP-10 and have never regretted it one bit. :woohoo1:

12. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

I have a super finnicky 500, 20". Hated everything from hevi to heavyweight to lead. Finally found a combo that put 150 plus in the 10 at 40, win hv 6s. Than they changed the wad and it fell flat on it's face

When longbeard came out, making that gun shoot was a priority. I could not find a choke with longbeard I wouldnt hunt with, from 643 to 670. Ended up with a 655 and it's right around 220.

Jdhunttrapfish likes this.
  13. TheLionsFan

TheLionsFan

If you’re considering a 500, why not take it up a hair and get the 835? Tough to beat that gun in the turkey woods.