New forum

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by quest32a, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Splitshot

Splitshot

This should be an interesting forum and a place where one can learn another technique that will help them catch more fish.

The most important element in centerpin fishing is the rod in my opinion. A long rod will help you keep your line off the water, let you fish a deep run without a slip bobber and allow you to set the hook better at the end of a long drift. Most of the time any reel will work but sometimes a centerpin reel works best, especially if you are drifting a tricky current where the water is deep.

It takes some time to learn to cast them and my biggest complaint is line twist. That can be overcome with the pull cast but that cast takes even more practice and skill. In my opinion it is a speciality tool that works best in particular situations. If you fish steelhead a lot especially on bigger rivers you will probably like it. I think it is as challenging as fly casting only in a different way.

Good idea John. Anytime you do something to help fishermen have a better understanding especially of new ideas it can’t hurt. To all those who think centerpin fishing is the tshit, it ain’t all that, but it is a fun way to fish and to the guys who think it sucks, don’t even get involved.

By the way I have seen guys cast a centerpin much farther than any spinning reel, but to do it consistently, it takes a lot of hard work. I have amazed myself a few times a few times when I did it right with long casts, but I will probably never reach the “Zen” level because it is a lot of work and I don’t fish those conditions enough where a centerpin and long rod is the best tool.

2. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

As far as one cares to fish a float away from them, which is somewhat objective and as far as one's abililty allows them to cast. 50' to 100' would be a fair average. Historically, the centerpin reel has been around much longer than a spinning reel.
    You quite possibly answered your own question:confused:
    Perhaps you should educate yourself on how a float reel is cast, trotted, and most importantly how fish are fought. As for people "putting away" their centerpin reels because of hurting themselves, fine with me...makes for more high quality used reels on the market
    As for this forum going anywhere, only time will tell. The other float fishing (centerpin) related forums I have visited have a tremendous following with less bickering and ignorance and a very friendly tone. I don't think that there is any sort of competition stating that the centerpin is better than a spinning reel or any other tackle for that matter. Personally, I am a FISHERMAN, not a centerpinner, flyfisherman, walleye guy, or big lake troller but a combination of all the above and more. Being open-minded to, and embracing, new techniques has made me a better fisherman, period. It has its own forum because it is a unique and specialized way of fishing, just like flyfishing, which also has its own forum. I could care less if there was a centerpin forum or not but perhaps you should visit it to learn a little bit more about it before making assumptions. If you are really that upset about this, perhaps someone on the "Sound Off Forum" would be more interested? GOOD LUCK!

3. quest32a

quest32a Mods

There are entire websites out there devoted to Center Pin fishing. For me I plan on making it another addition to my arsenal for catching fish. Is it the end all to steelhead fishing, no its not. But there are days where flyfishing is more effective, drift fishing, hardware fishing and sometimes float fishing. The Center Pin is just another way to catch fish and somedays it will outfish every other method under the sun. Other days it will not. But the more versatile angler you are the better angler you are.

4. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

Absolutely, Quest--you hit the nail on the head. I have gained alot of respect for the pin guys. Those long rods definitely put the wood to fish. I love to bobber fish, and sooner or later I'll do it with a pin as well as my bait caster set up. Right now though, I have to worry about stocking up my crank bait supply for kings! LOL!!

I think the only way that I'll stop spending money on new things to try for salmon and steelhead is when I die. As long as I'm breathing, the knowledge and equipment will continue to pile up! :lol:

5. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

AMEN

6. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

I am curious about the benefits of a center pin reel.
    Sounds like casting is great, how is retrieve? Is it a 1:1 ratio as imagine it would be and is that a problem for you guys who use them? Is the longer rod a necessity with them? Other benefits?
    As for the long rod they are a blast, only 2 draw backs for me. Wading alone up to your chest in water trying to net a fish is a bit harder but bearable, and strong winds seem to blow a longer rod around more.

Not being a clown about it, really want to know. I've tried about every kind of steelhead fishing around except traditional fly fishing. I inherited my G-dads old Shakespear set-up (made in Kalamazoo circa 1940!) but haven't used it yet.
    A brief spellout of benefits would be interesting to me rather than wading through a bunch of posts and trying to remember it all. Been a while since I invested in "new stuff!

7. CANman

CANman Guest

HEY,,,ABOUT TIME THIS FORUM CAME AROUND.

CANman here, from across the border in the Soo. Dont post much, since all i do is float fish, and most the coldwater forum posts dont related to much of anything we Canadians do on the river.

Guess thats different now!

Been at it for nearly 16yrs now, havent steelhead fished a river without a center pin for that long!...wow, thats crazy now that i think about it.

Anyhow, always willing to help out with techniques, etc. Plus, I prostaff for G Loomis Canada, so I can always help out with info on our rods.

CANman

8. quest32a

quest32a Mods

Good to have you here CanMan. I too float fish quite a bit but the whole Centerpin thing is going to be new to me. I am sure I will have some questions.