New forum

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by quest32a, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Hex4steel

Hex4steel

I agree with Steve and believe this forum will come of use in the future.....

2. subocto

subocto

Does a centerpin reel use floating flyline or mono?

What is the difference if I use spawn under a bobber on my 11 ft spinning rod than using spawn under a bobber on a centerpin reel and 11ft rod. with both setups I still have to keep feeding line out to get the "long drift" that was mentioned, right? And since there is line on the water, wont they both have some drag in the current?

Im just trying to figuire out the difference and how one has an advantage over the other

3. Mags

Mags Banned

There was a very good article on center pin reels/fishing in last month's(February 2006) Woods-n-Water News. A friend of mine from Windsor who does the majority of his fishing on the Saugeen River swears by this method, and he does catch alot of fish using it. He was trying to explain the technique to me, and I must admit, it sounds intriguing and effective.

4. pelagic1

pelagic1

A center pin uses mono or a floating mono like Siglon F

There is no difference in using spawn under a bobber with an 11' rod with spinning reel or an 11' rod with a centerpin....If you are able to keep a quality drift with each.

Like you mentioned, on a long drift once the line drags in the water, it doesnt matter what kind of reel you use.

But because you can use a centerpin to more efficiently feed line at the rate of the current, there is less slack line and drifts can be extended. Hooksets are also instantaneous because you can just clamp and swing with a tight line.

That being said, if you can efficiently manage line with a spinning reel then 90% of the time you can be as effective as someone with a center pin reel in my opinion. Yes there are some times or locations that fishing a center pin will shine, but overall you can be just as effective with a spinning setup when fished properly.

A reel is just a tool, it does not catch the fish for you.

I fish a centerpin more for the challenge and the enjoyment i get out of it.

Not to mention the fact that for the money i spent on one CP reel alone i could have bought a spin reel/rod combo for about any condition i can think of. ;)

5. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

Amen. Myself, I use a bait caster for bobber fishing...same concept as a pin, just free spool, clamp down with your thumb and set hook. I'll end up grabbing a pin sooner or later, it looks like a lot of fun. Unless you're Gomer, then your just spending all day pulling your bobber out of the trees behind you. ;) :lol:

6. pikedevil

pikedevil

HAHAHAHAH WOW i almost crapped myself on that one. Oblivious gomer loves to just whip that big ole 13 footer around (I think hes over-compensating), clockin everything and everybody in sight.

7. gomer

gomer

Winchester, Virginia & Rockford, MI (Home)
    Sometimes you just gotta swing for the fences... Maybe you should take some pointers Hutch and you might be able to keep them on!

8. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

I was to busy trying to protect my little boys--I figured I'd end up taking them to the emergency room if they stood too close to you! Whip, smack, retrieve bobber from tree, whip, smack, retrieve bobber from road. ;) :lol:

9. pikedevil

pikedevil

Gomer can be deadly with that thing. Couple weeks ago I took a giant balsa float with about 6 oz of shot right across the face when the hook let loose from one of his infamous snagged float fish.

10. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

Yeah, I kinda figured that's what was going on. When I was untangling one of Gomer's hook sets from around my son's neck, I noticed the point of his hook was covered with...shall we say, jewelry? I was going to remind him that this isn't indy fishing, but I figured it wasn't my place! :evil:

11. Hex4steel

Hex4steel

:lol: Almost fell out of the chair on that one! Don't worry, Gome has got it covered with that meat stick he just built. Just don't be alarmed if your suddenly dragged in the river after hearing a big ole' "fish on" from the opposing side of the quarry, It's just gomer on another rampage with his pinner'!

12. gomer

gomer

Winchester, Virginia & Rockford, MI (Home)
    All I have to say is if you get in the way of the frontier, you will get sent to the next frontier...:lol:

13. Chrome steel

Chrome steel

Can someone tell me the furthest one can cast with one of these so called new fishing sports reels?
    Also whats the differnace from a large arbor dragless fly reel and a cinter pin reel? (besides the great balance and percion tuning to spool out easier for the use of 12 to 15lbs line)?
    So your telling me you have to cast out and grab the line so the current of the river dosen't strip more from line?
    What about when you set the hook and fight the fish cant let go right? I see alot of bandaids being used and people putting reels away for good!
    Me I had been steelhead fishing for over 20 years and me being 28 know the importance of a smooth drag system for steelies. With center pin fishing where's the smooth drag? I guess with our cold fingers you can barly feel? I dont think so. This is an opion so please noone get mad or hurt but I doubt this forum will ever go anywhere but questions about what is or how to & why! And if I get booted for this like another member had where is the respect of opion and choice? I love this place. Other than this good luck guys. And I hope to have what I said rubbed in my face and proven wrong, that a center pin will out fish a spining reel anyday. Then I'll know why it has its own forum. But other than that its just a differnt technic of stream fishing. GOODLUCK........

14. pelagic1

pelagic1

I think you answered most of your own questions.

There is nothing fancy about a center pin reel other than it spins freely....YES your hands do get cold....NO there is no drag other than your cold hand....fishing a center pin is not for everyone.

I dont think anyone is saying that a CP reel will outfish a spinning reel ANY day.

You are correct it is just another method of stream fishing.