close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. dominicblondeau12345

dominicblondeau12345

Hey guys, I am 15 y/o and I needed some reccomendations for a new fly rod specifically for steel and salmon. I am looking for a fly combo anything under 300$ if possible. Also I would like to know what rod weight would be reccomended for these fish.

2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

First of all let me welcome you to a great site for information and help.

There are several rods out there in you price range. I would suggest something in the 9- 9.5' range on length, and 8wt for the line weight.
    I have always loved the Sage RPL rods, they were made before you were on this earth, but a great rod for both Steel and Salmon when use right. You might be able to find one on eBay, I picked up a couple on there a few years ago. It is a slightly slower rod than most of the new ones out there and handles everything from streamers to chuck-n-duck fairly well.
    Another good rod might be the TFO NXT or Clouser models, normally sold in 9' length, I just checked and there are a couple on eBay right now. for under $200.

Good luck.

D

Here is a eBay link to another TFO that my buddy has used and loves the rod.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMPLE-FORK...772047&hash=item5b37e01d3a:g:MHUAAOSw-K9ZEg75

dominicblondeau12345 likes this.

3. StormyChromer

StormyChromer

These are retail prices from Cabela's so I'm sure you can find a little better price.
    For salmon/steelhead it's a solid rig to start off with.

7 or 8WT - TFO Lefty Kreh Signature II Fly Rod - $130
    7/8WT - Redington Behemoth Fly Reel - $110
    8WT – RIO Intouch Salmon/Steelhead Fly Line - $85

4. jd4223

jd4223

Go to www.redington.com,look under combos.Bottom of page Crosswater Combo 9wt 4piece rod/reel/line/leader/with case for $139.00. My nephew bought same combo for salmon/steelhead...no complaints..

5. koditten

koditten

I own several Orvis, G Loomis and others. I don't use them as much as I used to.

My last purchase was a Cabela's Prestige 7-8 wt fly rod. I can't tell the difference from my Orvis Clear Water in the same weight. It was $98. It is my "go to" rod now. The warranty is better than the G Loomis or Orvis rods. Cabela's will GIVE you a new rod if you break it on a fish. Orvis and G Loomis now require $125 to warranty a fishing rod.

I did get the Prestige on sale, but I would expect another sale soon.

Okuma reels are a good real at a great price.

6. dominicblondeau12345

dominicblondeau12345

I’m most likely going to cut my price range down a bit, anything in the 100-180$ price range would be perfect. I watched Fish Frays YouTube vids on salmon fishing and noticed that he was using the Cabelas RLS. It’s supposed to be a good fly combo for the price and I believe would be perfect for me. The redington crosswater looked nice, so there is a chance I might get that. Does anyone know anything about the RLS? Im pretty sure its only 150$.

Thanks for all your help guys

7. jd4223

jd4223

I own several RLS reels from Cabelas(bought as a combo). The main difference between the RLS and the other Cabelas reels(aside from price) is the drag system is supposed to be better. I really couldn't tell the difference. I bought the RLS combo because I got a better price. I own at least 8 fly rods and reels combos from Cabelas. No complaints and never had to have any rods replaced. I also purchased 3 Switch rods from Cabelas when they were on sale(always on back order). No complaints other than the Switch rods didn't come as a combo,rods only. Just a note.when I bought my fly rod combos,they were all 2 piece rods,now they only offer 4 piece rods(pretty much standard now for most fly rods).

8. abbatoys

abbatoys

I love the RLS reels from Cabelas and they are on sale right now online. I use the size 4 for salmon and the size 3 for steelies. Cant go wrong with Redington rods or any Cabelas rods as they have a nice warranty.

9. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

Burned up the drag on 2 rls reels after 3 or 4 years... decent reel for the price