New Crankbaits

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by mjh4, Jul 14, 2020.

1. mjh4

mjh4

Is it just me or does anyone else hate new Crankbaits I hate breaking in a shiny new one. I'll break of a new rapala that's snagged but I'll dive in after a well worn scarred up lucky crank. I took a swim after a lucky j-9 rap last Saturday and my friend thought I was nuts but I had to get her back. Any one else ever dive in after a favorite lure? He told me no one jumps in to retrieve a lucky lure and I said i bet I'm not the only fisherman who has done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

fishinthed, on a call and mbirdsley like this.
  2. Big Skip

Big Skip

I certainly have not.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

3. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I have never swam for one but do use a lure retriever. I had one particular crankbait that catches fish 10 :1 over a brand new version of the same bait.

fishinthed and mjh4 like this.
  4. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

5. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

6. wpmisport

wpmisport

Waded in rivers and stream many times to get them. Have used a branch to guide down the line and knock them loose. When one gets hooked in a tree I have bent the tree branch down and then grab the branch, remove the lure or brake the branch.
    In a lake circle around the snagged lure with the boat will sometimes work.

Skinner 2 likes this.
  7. Cat Power

Cat Power

8. mjh4

mjh4

Well that solves it, I'm nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

9. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

10. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I will go to great lengths to get a good crank bait back. You can have two identical ones bought at the same exact time. One will catch fish the other will scare them away. I don’t mind new shiny ones as long as they catch fish. I could literally get rid of half of mine and it wouldn’t bother me one bit.

Best one I own is a cheap 200 or 300 ( I forgot what series it is) series bandit in root beer color. I bought it at m-57 surplus in chesaning for $3.00 2.5 yrs ago. Once I found out it’s magic I went back and bought every one they had (5 or 6). Luckily I havnt had to break into the other ones. I’ve had close calls but, always been able to get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjh4 and on a call like this.
  11. aacosta

aacosta

if they cost $3-5 my loss, but the cost $10+ for new stuff makes me think about it

mjh4 likes this.
  12. Reef runner

Reef runner

I had a couple cranks custom painted this year. This spring I snagged one in 10 feet of water in rocks. Water was very cold. I took my reel off the rod. Left the line thru the eyelets. Zip tied and taped my net handle to the rod butt and proceeded to jab the crank bait with my rod tip until it came out. Lol. I have since bought a lure retriever.

mjh4 likes this.
  13. CDN1

CDN1

I've dove over the side many a time to same my treasured lures. Apparently you all have to much disposable income. And Im talking Georgian bay cold ass water to save a fancy new lure.

mjh4 likes this.
  14. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner

Never went diving for one,, never will!

That said I have a few lures I only put on when im fishing by myself. Just can’t those particular colours anymore,, and if I lose it when I’m sole person in the boat... then nobody else’s sees me cry!

15. Chessieman

Chessieman

Quote; I've dove over the side many a time to same my treasured lures. Apparently you all have to much disposable income. And Im talking Georgian bay cold ass water to save a fancy new lure.

Yea, but your Canadian and do not use hot water in your bath water! Just kidding, at least us that fish the river know we have no chance for retrieval.

mjh4 and CDN1 like this.