close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New coyote rifle

Discussion in 'Michigan Predator Hunting' started by Allseasonhunt, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Allseasonhunt

Allseasonhunt

Im looking for a semi auto .223 ar to use for coyote this year. Just wondering what everyone has and experiences with them. I'm looking at DPMS, bushmaster, or smith and Wesson

2. jiggerjarvi

jiggerjarvi

For the money, and if your not one who has to have the top dog name brand gun, go with the DPMS.

my personal experience with AR's is in the trigger, then barrel.
    A bone stock AR, with a GOOD trigger is your best start IMO.

Update us on your choice when you pull the trigger, o ya, make sure it's a 5.56.

Allseasonhunt likes this.

3. Allseasonhunt

Allseasonhunt

I ended up going with the smith and Wesson m&p 15. They said overall it's a better gun. I liked how it came with iron sights, a heavier barrel, and a more refined trigger. Overall I think it was well worth the little extra money. I paid $525 and that was with a box of shells! Now I can't wait to take it out and see what it can do!

d_rek likes this.
  4. NorthWoodsHunter

NorthWoodsHunter

I ended up building my lower. This way I could control the components and cost but still get a really good trigger in it. It was my first build and was very easy. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination and had to watch a youtube video or 2 along the way. Then I bought a factory upper so I had something with a warranty if something went wrong. I went with a Rock River upper. Not a top of the line company if you ask the internet gun nuts, but I got one with a good barrel. They are running sales now.

If you're considering buying an AR anyways, go for it. If you're on the fence or budget is a concern i'd lean towards a bolt action. You can pick a decent one up a lot cheaper. Also consider your hunting area and shooting skills. Are the follow up shots afforded by an AR necessary or possible to do cover?

5. Fishman95

Fishman95

building your own is by far the most cost efficient way to get a quality AR