New Center Pin

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by jwheelfan03, Oct 1, 2018.

1. jwheelfan03

jwheelfan03

So Ive decide to join the center pin cult and had a few questions about line set ups and knots. I plan to run backing (which is pretty typical I think) and then floating mono then swivel and leader. What knot do you guys use to connect the backing to mono? I like the surgeon knot for leaders to tippets but wasn’t sure it would work good for dissimilar lines? Any thoughts would be helpful. I picked up my “beginner” combo on eBay last week. Hopefully I like it as I’m already eyeing an islander steelheader as a future upgrade and cash flow allows$!$! This may end up being an expensive hobby!

2. nighttime

nighttime

Albright Knot, or blood knot

jwheelfan03 likes this.

3. BMARKS

BMARKS

For two different line types like backing to mono. i always use a double uni knot. it allows the line to tighten to itself rather than to the other type of line. and has a near 100% strength.

jwheelfan03 likes this.
  4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

jwheelfan03 and eggfly like this.
  5. jwheelfan03

jwheelfan03

6. slightofhand

slightofhand

The cork thing sounds nice. I have drifted away from using backer as I can’t evrr get it packed down tight enough and mainline sometimes beds into itself on snags. Stopped using backer and just straight mainline and that seemed to fix the issue.

7. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

SOH, The advantage of the cork is that it is much lighter than either the backer or the mainline in either mono or braid. Also the only thing you need to watch for in bedding is along the edge, which I have found is not a problem. Give it a try and I am sure you will like it.