New call

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by melvvin, Feb 10, 2008.

1. melvvin

melvvin

Hey guys been thinking about buying a new duck call. I have a echo open water call its okay but it doesent always blow when its wet tends to stick. Seems like its gotten worse as its gotten older. It doesnt blow good when its cold either. Been looking at Foiles calls but not sure what to get. Like em loud but want em soft when birds are close. Any suggestions would be great Im open to any callmaker but must be acrylic just my preference.

2. choc24/7

choc24/7

I just got a Saunders schultz triple and it sounds really good. i have also heard good things about the RNT original and Foiles Dead Meat Mallard

3. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

Melvvin, have you changed your cork in the Echo? I change my cork about 2 times a year. Calls will flatten out if the cork is old.
    I blow an R-N-T Original and an Echo Timber. I've got them tuned differently, but when push comes to shove I grab the R-N-T.

4. duckbuster808

duckbuster808

I have a strait suzy polycarb and love it...I can't wait to blow it next season...I have blown it outside in the cold and for almost an hour or more and haven't had a problem...

I am looking into getting a Foiles Timber Rattler...they sound sweet!!!

To try and fix your call, put a new cork like has been mentioned and then get a rain-X wipe that is like $0.99 at walmart and rub it on the reeds really good...do this once, let it sit for 5 min. and then do it again...this helped solve the sticking problem with my calls. It helps by causing the moisture that builds up, to be blown off the reeds, just like rain is blown off of your window if you have rain-X on it, instead of building up and causing the reeds to stick together....hope this helps

5. Dahmer

Dahmer

I'm a RNT man when it comes to duck calls but my buddy is a prostaffer for buck gardner calls and he got me turned on to the spit tech calls. I'd started using the Main street this season it's a great all round call. Great top end and you can get real nasty on the bottom end. The thing with this call is the wetter the call gets the better it sounds. There are alot of good calls out there you need to try out a few different calls to see what fits your calling style.

6. franky

franky

I've been told that if you take your reed out and put rain-x on a paper towel then wipe the reed down then the reed won't stick.

7. mwakely

mwakely

Yetzen or a Haydell DR-85! Why pay more?

8. 1fish

1fish

After trying them all, I've came to the conclusion that there is no "perfect" call. Calls that I've written off as junk are picked up by the next guy and they're ready for the stage. Just so much personal preference, style, fit, etc.

But given the above, I love my RNT Daisy Cutter. My partner uses the RNT MVP and I've given that one a few test runs and it also gets my approval.

9. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

I'd say volume, clarity, improved quality of sound, top and low end control etc, etc, etc.
    DR-85 is a good beginner call. Pretty good sound quality but poor volume and control. If you want to be the best caller you can be, then get a quality call and learn to use it.
    I'd challenge anyone one on one, DR-85 vs. my R-N-T in the marsh and let the ducks decide.
    That's why I'd pay more.

10. melvvin

melvvin

Thanks for the help guys ordered some cork inserts from echo. I will also try using rain-x it makes perfect sense. I really appreciate the advice if i can return the favor let me know. I agree with lo Brass the higher priced calls make a world of difference if you know how to use them.

11. DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

FOILES STRAIGHT MEAT :bowdown:(top end) 1 in cocobola :woohoo1:and 1 in acrylic:woohoo1::D

12. just ducky

just ducky

:lol::lol: You shoulda heard the kid giving me grief in North Dakota about you and I using Yentzen's :yikes: Honestly, I've had that call for probably 20 years, and it's still my favorite. However it takes a TON of air to blow, and as I get older I'm getting a touch of asthma, so air gets hard to come by for me. So the kid talked me into a new call, which I bought at Cabela's on the way home from the North Dakota trip this fall. And it is a lot easier to blow...lots less wind required, which is good for us older guys :evilsmile To be honest with ya, I don't even know what brand it is...haven't touched it since December, so I'd have to go dig it outta the blind bag. He just told me what to buy and I did.:dizzy:

13. pintail charlie

pintail charlie

I was just down to cabellas a few weeks ago and about drove the guy working the call counter crazy. I tried every call they had, thats prob. where i got this nasty cold. But to make a short story long and boring, i got that foiles straight suzy. I thought it was the best sounding call they had. The RNT daisy cutter was a great sounding call too but it was 80 dollars more and sounded about the same. Dont get hung up on acrylic vs. polly or double reed vs. single. Find the call that fits and buy it.

14. duckbuster808

duckbuster808

Yeah get a DR-85 if you want a call that smells like puke!!! :D I bought one when I first started calling, pulled it out of the package when I got home went to blow it and got that nasty smell and then put it right back in and threw it away...that plastic they use is some nasty smelling stuff! :dizzy:

15. choc24/7

choc24/7

i noticed that same thing. i have ordered 3 or 4 calls from there and they all had that smell?????

you are gonna have to try a bunch of calls i recommend and take someone with ya that can help ya. good luck