New Brook Trout Regs in The UP.

Discussion in 'Gear Restrictions and Trout Fishing Regs' started by PunyTrout, Oct 12, 2017.

1. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Thanks for the info PunyTrout.

itchn2fish likes this.

3. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Thanks for posting. This has been quite a roller coaster with proposals being radically altered one way or the other, glad it's over for while. A long while, I hope.

4. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

These regs leave one unanswered question - will they include the current set of about 11 10-limit reaches?

When will the '18-'19 regs be published?

One of the regulations pushes the 10-limit line, on an existing 'research' reach, way up into the head of the system from it's current point. (The system is absolutely loaded with double digit Trout of all 3 species, even after 4-5 years of the higher limit). There are a few of these where I would be impressed if someone had the patience to fish the heavy, heavy cover present to even catch 10 legal Brook Trout - lots of small ones 'up at the top'.

I think my ideal solution to this question would be to make a ten fish limit on reaches not open to the Great Lakes; some of the current high-limit streams meet that test, some don't; same with the new ones. This would simplify the decision making process considerably, and help grow Brookie populations where Coasters can be produced.

Regardless, spreading out the 10-limit waters might reduce overall pressure on any given reach, a major variable for the slowly expanding set of 10-limit areas. I hope money can be found for a lot more surveys on 5/10 water for comparison. But I don't think Brook Trout fishing drives $$ and research much anyway.

itchn2fish likes this.