close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Never happened to me before

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by greelhappy, Sep 11, 2017.

1. greelhappy

greelhappy

While drifting today I saw the tell tale tick, tick of a perch. Took rod out of holder and waited for one more tick. No tick so I just pulled back on the rod and WHAM. Poll bent in half. Boated a almost 20" smallie. But when it was all said and done, after I took the bass off the hook, I found That a perch was on and the bass hit it when I pulled back on the rod. That was pretty cool. Released the smallie.

Opey, LLSSt Clair, Tryin2 and 9 others like this.
  2. RiverBelle

RiverBelle

Last yr, same thing happened, but it was a Muskie. It finally let go at the boat, and goby was still on the hook.

3. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I have had a muskie take an 18 inch smallie and not let go for 10 minutes. When he was played and at the boat he let go, but the muskie was nowhere near the hook!
    This year we have had muskie chasing up walleye on the St, Clair River.
    <----<<<

LLSSt Clair, jumbojake and jr28schalm like this.
  4. dlawrence1

dlawrence1

Last year during a bass tournament my father in law had a smallie at the boat and a 30"+ muskie clinched down on it. I netted the bass and the muskie and he still didn't let go until his tail was on the deck. Pretty cool but the muskie costed us a 4.3lb bass for the tournament.

LLSSt Clair and river jigger like this.
  5. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

30" musky hit a 4.3lb bass? Stupid fish! :) And it killed the smallie, that's why it cost you??

I also landed a musky that hit a another hooked fish. A 24" pike perfectly t-boned by a 40". That pike was also dead by the time we netted the musky and it finally dropped it.

The 24" northern was an easy meal for that musky, but that big bass probably wasn't going to go down easy for your FIL's musky! Eyes too big for stomach, wish I had the same problem- I'm more stomach too big for eyes

Best lure in the history of the world is a hooked, struggling live fish

fisheater and pink_in_the_gills like this.
  6. greelhappy

greelhappy

Reminds me of an old musky joke. Women on a boat was screaming for help. A musky fisherman went to her to find out what was wrong. " A large fish, at least 4' long grabbed my little dog when she fell into the water." After getting the women to settle down, he calmly asked her, "Mam, can I ask you what color your dog was"?

7. 6667supersport

6667supersport

With as many musky as there are, or were, I am surprised it doesn't happened more often when catching a smallmouth, or any other decent sized fish. I fished the lake for 3 or 4 years quite bit when my son was younger and only once did I have a musky chase a smallmouth to the boat. I was kinda surprised by the size of the musky as it was maybe a 40" fish and the bass was about 17". Didn't look like the musky could swallow the smallie even if it did catch it.

8. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

just had a smallie grab a perch and try to run with it only 4 feet from boat saw it happen it was pretty cool...last month was reeling in a dipsey and had a steelhead hammer the spoon about 6 feet from back of the boat then he jumped 3 times and waved goodbye with his tail as my net man struggled to get the net in the water....lol