Net Handle Size Restriction Removed

Discussion in 'Gear Restrictions and Trout Fishing Regs' started by M. Tonello, Apr 20, 2018.

1. 357Maximum

357Maximum

One less asininely stupid law I can quit ignoring, THANK YOU. I never complied with that rule while in a boat anyway. Safety was way more important than the remote possibility of some bs ticket.

2. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

From what I saw years ago on the Platte River I see this as a disaster. Prior to the length limit on handles, I saw many so called angler/sportsmen with long handled nets kicking the steelhead out of the holes so the could net them with long handled nets. One guy would have a fishing rod making them look legal.

I was trying to teach my son how to trout fish in a small stream one time when I had to threaten a guy doing the same thing with his kids with him. Nice way to teach your kids how to poach fish. I actually followed him to his car to get his license plate number.

3. 357Maximum

357Maximum

1-800-292-7800 is in my grey matter memory bank not my phone. If you see it report it, no sense endangering lives of others for those deekhead poachers. You argument is not all that different from the anti 2nd Amendment argument put forth by the gun grabbers if you think it through. Penalizing law abiding folks for what criminals may do is never right...NEVER.

4. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Multibeard- The activity you describe would still be illegal, regardless of whether or not the net handle reg is on the books. That's why Law Division supported us removing it. 357 is right on- if you see something like that going on, call RAP and our COs will be all over it.

5. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

6. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Sorry I did not mention that this happened a along time before cell phones and the rap line. I quit fishing the Platte after seeing so much of this going on. That was the only tme I had it happen on a small stream but I am sure it was going on.

I still stand my by feelings that it is a big mistake and this type of poaching will happen more. Especially with the way sportsman ship is today.