Negative for CWD

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by SA ULTRA MAG, Sep 5, 2008.

1. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Just off the top of my head here.... wouldn't it make sense to keep some of these deer alive,, that have been in contact with that original positive tested deer?? Since supposedly the disease can remain dormant for up to 5 years or the prions in the soil for 5 years. Why not quarantine some of the deer and monitor them,,, see how the disease progresses, maybe understand why some deer get it and some deer don't. I just don't see the reasoning of the extermination before some solid research.

2. Buckup

Buckup Guest

Because CWD is a scare tactic used DNR agencies to scare the public in an attempt to shut down Cervid Farmers. If they actualy did some research on CWD the public would find out it's not as serious a problem as they lead on. Basicaly it would blow a huge hole in there agenda.
    Jason

3. benster

benster

Now that there folks is nothing but true clASS spoken from a true sportsman no doubt.

4. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

Perhaps in light of the potential of spreading the fatal disease? Birds, small rodents, coons, possums, all can spread it. Is it worth taking the chance? Or is it already loose.....

Personally, I don't understand why the 300-cull hasn't already begun...unless there's the potential of cutting down on the early antlerless participation...you know, IF they find it in the wild herd. Just MH0.
    ~m~

5. benster

benster

You might want to delete thoes monster bucks you have in your gallery before you start tossing 1.5 or 2.5 year old bucks around too:rolleyes:

6. BIGSP

BIGSP

I usually don't visit this forum but, I need to jump in on this attack. The deer you have in your gallery aren't any better than 1 1/2 either so, you know the thing about "glass houses and stones" be careful.

I have shot 2 1 1/2 year old bucks when I first started hunting now I will only shoot a buck if it's at least 3 1/2 or 4 1/2. I am not even a big hunter but, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out age class of deer.

7. solohunter

solohunter

they do this type of research at the CDC lab,s in Ames Iowa, no need to do it here,, they did alot of TB transmission research when it first can out,, IE; the sugar beet test, a positive deer fed on it, was kept in freezer for 28 days, then fed to a deer, later that deer tested positive,,,,, AND I dont think you want our DNR experimenting with CWD here,,,,

8. solohunter

solohunter

You two need a "time out" to read the topic of discussion and quit bashing each other.

P.S. my avitar is 4.5 so pound sand in your cake hole about aging deer on the hoof. and I really didnt care how old it was!!! its head was going on the wall and the meat in my freezer- on my bithday no less. I shot a doe later in the month to:yikes:
    ( sorry I vented) :bonk:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  9. RavBowHunter

RavBowHunter

10. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

"Plus I don't need to brag about the deer I shoot to others ..."

Uh... that's exactly what you're doing as well as your attempted put down of others. Quit while you're behind.

11. RavBowHunter

RavBowHunter

I'm not bragging, just responding to an unfounded accusation. Bragging would be posting the pics--which I will not do.

12. Critter

Critter

:lol:
    High and mighty that is for sure. I asked a legitimate question, I want to know where I can find some hard data to look at to back up what you said. I never heard that before and I want to know.
    That avatar pic is at least 10 years old, last of the imature bucks I shot. Thats the buck that convinced me to let em go and let em grow. Only shot two bucks since, I'm sure they are both too small for you too. So you can stick the lecture in a dark hole and go back to blaming black helos and the DNR for all you deer hunting problems.

13. RavBowHunter

RavBowHunter

I don't have deer hunting problems--just have to hunt much harder than people in states that have superior governing bodies and much more intelligent hunters than MI does. I just like to point out MI's deficiencies compared to the other states/provinces I have hunted. Thats it.

14. Critter

Critter

Ok so you've still not answered my initial question. I'm not picking at you, I want to find the hard data so I can use it in arguments if need be.

15. RavBowHunter

RavBowHunter

And again, I will make the point I have already made. Look at the regulations that have been in place for a number of years that make it virtually impossible for anyone who wants to bait, to be able to bait enough to make a difference--without violating the arbitrary laws MI has passed. Also look to the counties that have had a baiting ban for just as long and how much that has helped the TB problem. The point is that the MI DNR has implimented laws and policies that have no potential to help the herd, clearly the laws have not worked as they were supposed to in the TB zone. So, the DNR takes one positive test on a penned animal and in a knee jerk like procedure ban baiting--similar to how the president got the patriot act through (by the way don't bring your laptop onto a plane unless you want its files potentially searched--a recent 9th circuit decision). Now this doesn't affect me much, I hunt exclusively private land and can plant food plots--at least for now--but it does hurt the majority of MI hunters who have to hunt state land. It is sad to watch how the MI DNR "manages" our herd--especially compared to qualified states.