Negative for CWD

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by SA ULTRA MAG, Sep 5, 2008.

1. SA ULTRA MAG

SA ULTRA MAG

KENT COUNTY, Mich., (WZZM) 40 deer shot and killed at a Kent County deer farm have tested negative for chronic wasting disease.

The animals were shot after one 3 year old doe tested positive for CWD.

State officials say they are puzzled by the results because they don't know how the deer contracted the disease.

They are still in the process of testing two other animals taken from farms in Osceola and Montcalm Counties.

2. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

It was also reported by the other site, that I referred to in the other thread about this subject having to do with the hearing, that the dnr was checking out an unlicensed taxidermist that was in the family of this deer breeder who might have brought in deer parts from another state. This sounds like a stretch to me but after everything said and done in the last two weeks, who knows. At any rate all that is being said at the moment is that the investigators have no idea how this deer became a victim of cwd.

3. Fishcapades

Fishcapades

I wonder if they could have goofed up. I sure hope they had those deer tested by two diffrent companys.

Carl

4. MakoWish

MakoWish

Wiping deer out for a goofup is a big deal. I hope their results were/are correct. :mad:

5. RavBowHunter

RavBowHunter

Looks like the DNR was just looking for a reason to ban baiting...they have been trying to do this for years. Now I am not advocating baiting and am not interested in that whole debate. I simply want to acknowledge the incompetence of the department.

6. oldexscrew

oldexscrew

Let's hear it for the eternal "conspiracy" theory.
    PG

7. ishot3bucks

ishot3bucks

I heard from the dnr that once it was confirmed in our labs, it was sent to another national lab and it was confirmed a second time.

8. swoosh

swoosh

I heard they used their black helo's to transport it:D

9. vandermi

vandermi

Bigfoot was flying the copter! :dizzy:

10. Critter

Critter

Can you tell me where to get the info that the DNR has been trying to do this for years? I haven't seen it and would like to.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  11. RavBowHunter

RavBowHunter

Right next to the your bait pile--that should have been no more than a gallon's worth of bait spread out over a 10' by 10' area--that you shot that 1 1/2 old from your avatar off.

12. solohunter

solohunter

Lets see, banning baiting does reduce the Posiblility of nose to nose contact, but does not eliminate it,, and with the spread of TB from alcona/alpena countys all the way to crawford county, down to Iosco, and last fall the two deer shot south of M-55 in iosco county testing positive for Tb outside of the boundrys, then the late season deer in saginaw state game area testing positive for Tb, and then the latest find of CWD in kent county,,,, it seems to have spread,,,???? the baiting ban might be reducing the numbers of deer per mile infected but its not stopping the spread of TB, then they get to play with numbers, a high TB rate with a massive kill of deer in 452, then the numbers dropped along with the number of deer killed, 452 are got wider and lowered the percentage of tb deer by using a wider base area, Tb is still there and will not go away untill the deer do. hopefull they CWD can be confined to the game ranchs,,,,

13. terry

terry Banned

[2] USA: (Wyoming) Date: Mon 29 Oct 2007 Source: The Courier Journal [edited]

<http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071028/SPORTS09/710280596/1002/SPORTS>

An Indiana hunter will be allowed to keep the head mount of a deer he killed in Wyoming that tested positive for chronic wasting disease.

The unidentified hunter knew about the CWD risk and submitted a portion of the animal to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department for testing before having the meat deboned for transport home. After the animal tested positive for CWD, Wyoming officials contacted the hunter and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

Indiana DNR officials disposed of the meat, but the hunter was allowed to keep the mount, according to Dr Jennifer Strasser, a veterinarian with the Indiana Board of Animal Health and a state conservation officer. "As long as the skull cap and cape are cleaned properly, the hunter can safely keep the mount," she said. The Indiana DNR (Department of Natural Resources) has tight restrictions on transporting deer, elk, and other cervids into the state. For information go to <http://www.in.gov/dnr/deerhealth/cwd.htm>.

-- communicated by: Terry S Singeltary Sr <[email protected]>

[The article does not tell us if the head and cape were cleaned by the hunter or by a professional taxidermist. Neither does the article indicate how this was verified, or if it was verified. If it were done by a taxidermist then one must wonder where the taxidermist is located, in Wyoming or Indiana, or some other state. In the past Indiana had no regulations regarding disposal of offal associated with a head mount and Indiana DNR had no way to track such either. Unless something has changed, the Indiana DNR did not have a complete list of taxidermists within the state. Without such a list or regulation of how the offal for a head/cape mount are to be disposed of it is possible that CWD could have been allowed to enter the state. - Mod.TG

The US states of Wyoming and Indiana can be located on the HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map at <http://healthmap.org/promed?v=40,-97.6,4>. - CopyEd.MJ]

https://michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1837107

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23313

http://www.biggamehunt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7603

>>>but the hunter was allowed to keep the mount, according to Dr. Jennifer Strasser, a veterinarian with the Indiana Board of Animal Health and a state conservation officer. "As long as the skull cap and cape are cleaned properly, the hunter can safely keep the mount," she said.? <<<

i think it's foolish. in my opinion, the complete carcass should have been incinerated, including the head mount.

What actions have been taken to prevent the spread of CWD? The movement of high-risk carcass parts (brain, spinal cord, lymph tissues) is a potential avenue through which CWD could be spread from infected areas. Investigations in New York indicate that the infection could have been spread by a taxidermist who accepted specimens from CWD-positive states, allowed rehabilitated fawns access to the taxidermy workshop and spread potentially infectious curing salt waste as a fence line weed killer on his deer farm. Several states, including Pennsylvania, have developed regulations to prohibit the importation of high-risk carcass parts from CWD endemic states. As of April 1, 2006 Pennsylvania's importation ban prohibits the importation of high-risk carcass parts from Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York (CWD containment area only), South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia (Hampshire County only), Wisconsin, Wyoming and the Canadian provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Pennsylvanians hunting in CWD-positive areas should get their animals tested and should leave high-risk carcass parts in the area where the animal was hunted.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=168948

The movement of high-risk carcass parts (brain, spinal cord, lymph tissues) is a potential avenue through which CWD could be spread from infected areas. Investigations in New York indicate that the infection could have been spread by a taxidermist who accepted specimens from CWD-positive states, allowed rehabilitated fawns access to the taxidermy workshop and spread potentially infectious curing salt waste as a fence line weed killer on his deer farm.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=168948

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/taxidermists_cwd.pdf

http://wolftracksproductions.yuku.com/topic/874/t/Wyoming-deer-killed-by-Hoosier-had-CWD.html

TSS

14. Critter

Critter

2.5 year old, never used bait in my life. Thanks for the personal attack though, shows me how much stock to put into anything you have to say. Have a great day.

15. RavBowHunter

RavBowHunter

No problem on the personal attack; I don't mind saying it because people like you that shoot "2.5" year old bucks (based on their expertise tooth aging skills) that look like that are the reason Michigan's deer herd is in the poor state that it is in. Enjoy your 2.5 year old this year that weighs 100 lbs. dressed and won't score above 70 pts. B & C. But hey, what you consider a "mature" deer is up to you.