close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some insight

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Mr Burgundy, Nov 20, 2017.

1. PerchPatrol

PerchPatrol Premium Member

I have a Marcum (Xl6?) - I like it, probably should have gone with the vex.

When fishing is slow, it gives you something to look at, play with etc....

The adjustable radar cone helps in shallow water.

It really helped in Higgins deep water.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

BayBornNRaised,

I think you would be out fished by electronics while fishing "new" or previously unfished lakes with different species. That's what makes the flashers / graphs combined with lake maps so useful. You can pick out exactly where you think the fish will be on the map, then walk out there drill a hole and check with the flasher confirming depth, fish, and structure within seconds. Drop a bait and see what happens. Otherwise without technology you are just shooting in the dark. Albeit, I do understand their are old school methods for checking depth and if you bring up weeds or catch fish you have an idea of what's around. Flashers just speed up the process and simplify the learning curve, especially on new bodies of water.

I run a X67C and it does help catch more fish, especially in deeper water. In shallow water (less than 8 ft) with lots of weeds, I treat it basically as a depth finder as it's just too cluttered in the shallows.

Lund Explorer likes this.

3. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Tnks bud, I may hit u up for some pointers. I'm still on the fence though, says it's around 10lbs. Not so worried about the cost as it should last quite some time. Tnks bud

4. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

It's no where near 10lbs. It might be 3lbs, and that's all battery, lol.

5. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Must of been a misprint or something, 3 is alot better lol

6. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Must of been a misprint or something, 3 is alot better lol. I move alot and staying mobile is very important to me

William H Bonney likes this.
  7. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

You say its easy to use. Can you use it with one hand while holding a slurpee with the other? :hide:

8. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I hope you're right about that Artic Armor, because you guys all talked me into getting a set late last year...:)

9. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

I'm offended that this question was even asked. Surely you must be joking.

10. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I would recommend looking at a graph over a flasher. There I said it!

A graph you can use year round. I take my helix 5 off my boat and put it on my ice hopper when lakes lock up. Couldn't be happier

That's my .02

ma1979 and Jimbos like this.
  11. Smallie12

Smallie12

Please do a search then on what the differences are between flashers and graphs. There are plenty of articles out there saying this exact thing. I'm not going to argue it though and I'm certain the tech has changed and probably isn't as big of an issue with a brand new unit as it was in the past but it is what it is.

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Ice-fishing_Friday_Graphs_vs_flasherswhats_best_for_you

This article pretty much sums it up in the first few paragraphs.

Not trying to start anything but I certainly don't appreciate having a post of mine which is indeed true being called absolutely false. I've always enjoyed reading your posts and will continue on with that and I've never, ever posted any BS on here and always check my facts or go with personal experience before posting. Thanks man and good luck to you this season as I can hardly wait.

Sparky23 likes this.
  12. y2ba

y2ba

I’m running an x67c still, if it’s not broke..don’t fix it! When i pick my rod tip up, the mark on the screen goes up...instantly. When i drop my rod tip...the mark goes down...instantly. If there’s lag...its fractions of a second. That’s my research!

13. msfcarp

msfcarp

Instead of relying on articles then, speak from your personal experience. You yourself stated you have not used a graph.

I have used an fl-8 since the early nineties until going to a Lowrance elite 4, so yes I know what both units can do., I stand by my statement 100%, no offense to you.

14. Noodles77

Noodles77

I have owned the Vexilar fl8 for 12+ years and it’s all I ever needed. I would fish with friends that were old school and outfish them 100% of the time. I have the gear, I have the gadgets for a reason. Less time searching and more time over active fish. We all know that there are days that the fish just aren’t biting so my statement of outfishing my buddies may not be completely true as some days are a draw. I wish they were stubborn old school guys so they wouldn’t crowd me when I find the fish with my electronics but the best part of getting out with the guys is shooting the breeze, so I don’t get worked up about it. Anyone ever get out with their buddies and have them constantly ask to come check their holes because you’re the only one who has electronics? The fl8 has gone with me everywhere from LBDN, Higgins Lake, Houghton Lake, Saginaw River and many more places in between. Those are pretty diverse bodies of water and electronics has put me on the fish quicker than sitting on a bucket and waiting for them to come to me. I’ll throw and example of an instance where the electronics turned a good trip into an unforgettable one. A few years back my dad and I were fishing Portage Lake in Onekama. Being new to the lake we did our share of hole hopping and ended up finding quality perch (not quantity) in the 50’ depths. Occasionally there would be marks that were suspended 15-20’ off of bottom and I assumed they weren’t perch so I didn’t bother moving up and trying to fish them. Well, curiosity got the best of me and the next time I had a suspended mark show up I moved up and was I in for an experience. I have never fought a fish thru the ice that compares to hooking a 15-22” Cisco. We had a blast that weekend perching and catching those Cisco that, without electronics, would never have happened. Electronics open up more possibilities than without, and that’s a fact. So, after owning the fl8 for years and having my son as my primary fishing buddy, I handed the Vex down to him two years ago. He’s going to be 11 in a few days and since day one with his unit, he can do everything that it has the capability of doing. It’s super easy and I’m guessing most could figure it out with a little research and on ice time. I gave my son the fl8 so that put me in the market for a new unit. I was a Vex guy and will never knock them as they 100% do everything as advertised. I wanted the fl28 but after doing research and seeing both units in action on the ice, I chose the MarCum FL7. I will let you watch the YouTube videos to see how awesome that unit is but to each their own. Graphs versus flasher is a debate that boils down to preference. I just chose to have all in one unit with the capability of downloading software updates to my MarCum as they come available. I’m a long winded SOB but the point to my story is that electronics will in fact put you on more fish. You can spend less than $100 on a used unit all the way up to $1200 on a brand new one. I will be the last to tell anyone how to spend their money but if you have the cash, I would say buy the best unit you can. It’s like any other hobby, once you have something and see someone using the next model up, it’s going to eat at you. My price per fish has gone up but is it really about that as opposed to getting out and making the most of your time in the outdoors? If anyone wants to see either unit, PM me and maybe we can meet up on the ice. (I do have permission from my son to use his Vex when he’s not there. lol) Good luck everyone in the upcoming ice season and remember that to each his own. I knock no one for methods they prefer as long as they’re not breaking the law.

Lund Explorer likes this.
  15. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I have both an FL8 and a nice Ice Bird. I've had the flasher for around 17 years and it works great. The problem is that they're noisy and my bird has a GPS and map chip and those are very handy extras. I use the Bird in flasher mode most of the time and keep the FL8 in the truck for a buddy to use or as a backup. Both work fine but I'll admit I like the Bird better for the reasons stated.

I'd never ice fish without one of the two with me. Why jack off when you can ****! Old school guys are cool and I'm one of them but times change so get with the program or get your clock cleaned on the ice!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    FugOwEe likes this.