close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some insight

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Mr Burgundy, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Lol The years we all thought we were invincible. Took me years to break down and get a shanty, safety was 1 reason why I did get one. Sorta miss them early 80's days...12 miles out and Cooold! Is that a One handle arm twisting, leg bruiser jiffy thats gas? Oh my, and to think I still own that exact auger drill holes for fences with it often. Runs like new. Now run with a electric ION X to do the job. I even upgraded from 3 wheels lol to 4 wheels and tracks. Gps, extra batteries, hand held compass with another compass on machine, phone Thats all the technology I need. Fish are a bonus! All to each their own. Bring on the ice....Good luck guys 20171121_120206.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    PerchPatrol, y2ba and Waif like this.
  2. Waif

Waif Premium Member

If not for a lantern in a wood box to sit on , I might not have stuck with ice fishing.
    Fish or no fish ,a shanty use was a rare treat!
    The advances ,like in most sports , are a pick and choose what suits the individual thing.

Kids are fast to catch on with a flasher after a couple catches supervised.
    A labor saver sending one to check holes for fish...l.o.l.
    Keeps them busy if the bite is slow.

Bay BornNRaised likes this.

3. xhoosiericeman

xhoosiericeman

i couldnt imagine fishing without my fl8..i would recommend a vexilar fl8 if you primarily fish shallow. ive seen them on ebay for under 100 bucks. the fl18 is a great unit if youre fishing alitle deeper..it has a 6 ft bottom zoom..doesnt really matter in depths up to 30 ft or so id say

4. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I wanna buy a unit that can do shallow as well as deep water. I like the autozoom on the fl18

5. bobberbill

bobberbill

Most graph users would never revert back to flashers. Most graph units have a flasher mode. My graph has a flasher mode. I used it once...for about 30 seconds.

msfcarp and Waif like this.
  6. Smallie12

Smallie12

I like a flasher but never used a graph. If I forgot my flasher I'd probably head back home but I'm certain I'd never forget it. I think the main difference between a flasher and a graph is that the flasher is more instantaneous where as the graph takes a second as the screen prints out what is happening. Like others said, make sure you practice a little with the unit before you head out and from there it is all about setting the dials on the proper settings to get rid of interference and knowing what the numbers mean on the dial as far as depths and such. From there it is simple really and eventually you can even begin to tell what type of fish you are marking. Red lines on most units mean a strong signal or larger fish right under the cone and yellow means a lesser signal where the fish may be on the edge or maybe smaller and green means the fish is barely markable or may just be a little guy. They are great for instantly getting depths though along contours or just straight up marking fish allowing you to move around until you find them. Then when you find them you know exactly where in the water column they are and don't waste time fishing under them or way too high above them which is impossible to know without one unless you spend a lot of time jigging up and down at different depths. Without them it is harder to get the exact depth again without some trial and error but with one you simply watch your jig fall down the water column right to the fish. This helps to set a dead stick too so you can lower it down the flasher's hole to set depth or slip the ducer down that hole to set it and forget it. Also there are times where you see fish and lower an offering and they scatter so you know right away they didn't like that and you can change it up quicker. The times I know it has helped me catch fish is on the really tough crappie bites where you are marking them but all they will do is nose your bait. So you can tease them but without a flasher you'd never know they are there. If you jig too fast and they take off slow it down. If they are super aggressive you can literally pick the fish you want to catch. I say get one and you will not be disappointed but they don't catch fish for you by any means. Had a lot of tough days on the ice last year and actually, my best day ever was with no shanty, no flasher, borrowed equipment, about 6 different tear drops to choose from with those poles with plastic reels and a buddy and I couldn't keep crappie off our lines for more than about 10 seconds for about 3 hours straight in the middle of the day. We also caught some bass, gills, perch, and pike mixed in on a well known northern lower peninsula lake. We probably caught 3 limits each and had to resort to dead minnows from the side of the hole to finish up the day. I wish I would have had a flasher then (some 20 years ago) just to have been able to see the screen lit up from top to bottom with fish non stop, lol.

pike man likes this.
  7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Let's keep the arguing to a minimum. We all have our own ways of fishing.

When it comes to using electronics it becomes tough when fishing less than 10', doesn't matter on the unit. Your jig will have to be straight down from the transducer and you aren't marking fish until they are almost sniffing it. When it comes to less than 10 FOW I hardly use it. I use it to see what the bottom/structure is like.

Some guys prefer flashers over graphs or vice versa. I started out with a flasher years ago and now I'm a graph guy and don't look back. Either unit will help you locate fish quicker and help you understand how they are reacting.

I myself do not rely on my sonar to put fish on the ice. Too many guys depend on it and focus on that screen rather than their presentation.

8. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I received one of these as a gift and love it. 1788358_10215061_is.jpg

9. ncgreg

ncgreg

Like so many others have already told you, once u start using it, you will never go back. It is so important to get a tip off before the bite and to know you are on top of them.
    For me, i use the lowrance hook 4 unit from my boat, including the transducer. Built a small wood box to mount it and the battery, and you can buy one of these cheap, like $150, or so. You dont need the ice version with goofy bag with plastic tray that runs the price up crazy. Good luck!

10. Elwood454

Elwood454

I fish with the Hummingbird bird 383 off of my boat and an ice transducer. It works alright until you get over 35feet. I’ve fished with guys with vexilars and there is a tremendous difference between the expensive models and the cheaper models. If your fishing for perch in deep water you’ll want the better models. You can’t see you lure without one.

11. msfcarp

msfcarp

This statement is absolutely false. The leading edge of your signal on a graph is instantaneous, no different than a flasher. Apparently people get caught up watching the history as it scrolls on.

12. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Got that right especially if you run an Amplitude Scope type edge detection also, and my shanty has been in the house for the past 3 years...

ARCTIC ARMOR is my shanty, and it's saved my butt doing a November swan dive before.

I only run 3-12" displays on my boat because I can't afford glitter on my rig...

I never catch fish~!

o_O

jumbojake, y2ba and msfcarp like this.
  13. xhoosiericeman

xhoosiericeman

get a vexilar fl18 lol

14. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Sounds about right...

:lol: :mischeif:

15. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Ron, I bought the FL18 the first year it came out (mid to late 90's I think). I still fish with it to this day, never had an issue with it. Easy to use, easy to read, not a million buttons!