close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some insight

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Mr Burgundy, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

So I'm planning on getting a flasher this winter for ice fishing. I do have a couple of questions though. First and foremost do they make a huge difference between having on and not having one? I do fish some deep lakes from time to time but mostly marina hop with depths up to 10 feet. Second , what are some pros and cons for the fl18 pro ? Tnks for any thoughts u guys might have

Burgundy

2. jimbo

jimbo

I got a used one last yr.
    My first concern was the weight. Had to get a sled. Then I get it on the ice the first time, & the battery is dead. (my fault, they guy I got it from said I might need a new one)
    So, with the short season last yr, (only made it out 4 times)I never got to try it.

3. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Once the use is learned, it is hard to fish without one.
    I use an FL8 and can hole hop till fish are located. Then drop offering just above them and tease a bit and note reponse.
    Bottom huggers do not always show ,but if they are active they will come up to an offering a few inches above bottom.
    When you can see fish in the water column ( represented marks anyway) your offering , and the fish' s reaction .....it is hard/ not as effective to fish without a flasher.
    IF,you prefer a flasher to other electronics.
    It takes a lot of the wondering about what is going on below out of fishing ,for me anyway.
    If you get one ,study it before use. Then enjoy.

Fishfreak48 and toppm like this.
  4. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I have a fl28 since I gave my fl8 to my grandson. I ice fish almost every day and the flasher is huge. On blue gills it lets you know the fish are there and lets you see how they are reacting to your jigging. It is also money on suspended crappie. You can see them easily and position your jig above them.

toppm likes this.
  5. d_rek

d_rek

I couldn't justify buying one for the shallows I generally fish on Lake St. Clair and adjacent marinas. If i want to know there are fish under foot I just look in the hole.

Waif likes this.
  6. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

To answer your first and foremost question is, I dont think there is a HUGE difference in using a flasher compared to Not. Never owned one and with many friends that run them I never been outfished cuz I didnt. JMO
    Switch up baits and running your presentations at different depths in any reasonable depths can find fish pretty quickly. Just as before they came out or if your battery dies, what to do then....oldschool all day still prevails in the long run. Again JMO

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  7. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Might not be critical in the shallows like lsc. But it can make a huge difference for you if you fish a lot of inland lakes or deep water. Heck of a lot easier to find suspended fish and see how they react to your presentation. Tough to fish without one once you've tried it. Can't comment on that model as I prefer a graph type(x67, helix 5).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  8. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Not a huge difference but if you are marking fish constantly with no bites you can change tactics or call it a day .

9. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I bought my first FL8 when they first came out, and I'm on my third Vexilar today. When I first started using one, nobody else had them. I was told I was cheating when I'd limit out long before anyone else. Cheating must have caught on, because on the lakes I fish, almost everyone uses one now.

Bottom Line - A flasher won't improve your fishing, but it will make a world of difference in your catching.

You'll find suspended fish much quicker, you be able to see fish come up off the bottom to inspect your bait, and with enough practice, you'll be able to tell the mood of the fish, and what color or bait/plastics are going to work the best on any given day.

Jim58, plugger and Jimbo 09 like this.
  10. msfcarp

msfcarp

Once you fish with one a few times you will never go without. Despite what someone else says about not improving your catch rate, he is wrong, you will.

Just don’t necessarily think just flasher, like the poster above, I have used a vex since before they were popular on the ice (late eighties) I tried a Lowrance elite 4 a few years ago and now my Vexilar sits on the shelf.

hawgeye likes this.
  11. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

These are all great pov, tnks guys

12. y2ba

y2ba

Electronics WILL help you catch more fish...period. Anyone who says they won’t, either don’t own one, or don’t have them dialed in. Finding depths, drops, type of bottom...just to start. Once you find fish the biggest advantage IMO is seeing how they react to your bait/presentation. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a walleye come up off bottom, and shoot right back down when he didn’t like what he saw.....then instantly change up your cadence and have I️t shoot right back up and hammer my bait. Electronics are priceless IMO. I take mine even when i fish LSC occasionally...helps save your back by not looking down the hole at all times. And also nice when the waters stained.

shrek527, jumbojake, Sparky23 and 3 others like this.
  13. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

We all have are own opinions!

14. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Wonder what the dumb@×*€€ used before electronics. Huh Your electronics may make it Quicker but definitely not NEEDED, fact.

15. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Well your statement is wrong, I have owned a flasher and used a graph for awhile and Choose to stay old school. Your sole exclusive electronics Will Not catch you more fish. Quicker maybe thats about it. Soft or hard water I dont rely on my electronics, my experience and time on the water is my electronics. JMO