1. Wurster101

Wurster101

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for pigeons in the south eastern michigan area. I live on Westland, and I need pigeons to work with. I have a 11 month old GSP and I want to start worming heavily woth birds. Does anyone know where i can buy pigeons? I cant find a big enough flock tk try and trap, looked on craigslist and havent been able to find anything reasonable. If anyone knows please contact me.

2. birdhntr

birdhntr

Salmonfever had birds available a while back.The price point is irrelevant in the long run.A few here and there should suffice.

3. birdhntr

birdhntr

Remember slow and easy .Keep lesson's short and sweet so the dog will learn what the lesson is.One every other day will do more than twenty in a day.To much excitement can distract the dog.Especially shorthairs

PA BUCK 2 likes this.
  4. Wurster101

Wurster101

No I know to do short and sweet lessons. He’s incredibly smart and very bird oriented. My dad and I have trained multiple GSPs over the years and we used to trap pigeons by the cage loads. However over time the hawks have moved in and our normal stomping grounds for getting birds has dwindled.

birdhntr likes this.
  5. Wurster101

Wurster101

Salmonfever is that a thread or is that a person?

6. birdhntr

birdhntr

He is a member here.go back a few pages in the upland forum and it should be there.

7. gundogguy

gundogguy

Buying 100-500 pigeons is a easy proposition. A little leg work some drive time and poof your in the training bird business.
    Pet owners should unite, develop some sort of relationship with a Pro trainer. A Pro that does not have some contacts in the pigeon game prolly ain't training many bird dogs.
    Find a Pro, develop a relationship, maybe take some lessons from that Pro. Back in the day I would supply former clients with a few birds in addition to 100-125 per week I was using. Helped me offset feed expenses, help former clients who, in turn sent me new clients a win win.

Lamarsh likes this.
  8. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Are you looking for young birds to start your own loft, or just shooters?

Whatever you are looking for, I will just note that building a loft and maintaining around a dozen nice homers and investing in 3 bird launchers and electronics was one of the best dog training investments I've ever made. They take a bit of care, but not much, and are even fun to just watch loft fly when not using them for dog training. And their poop makes pretty good fertilizer for the garden.

As far as trapping ferals goes, I have found it is notably more difficult in the warmer seasons. During winter, they are like magnets to a baited trap.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 11:05 AM
    EMoor likes this.
  9. Wurster101

Wurster101

Right now I'm looking for some shooters. He's been introduced to birds before, but over the winter we did a lot of mouth work and now I want to start using live birds to add in that feel for him. One day I wouldn't mind getting some homers and building a loft, but as of now I don't have that much room and dedicated time to train birds as homers.

10. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

You might try finding some pigeon racers in your area to see if they have any culls they'd be willing to give up as shooters. Even when the race season ends, racers still hope to have their entire young bird team, but only willing to breed a selection of them--the rest are either culled or kept by them just as pets (some guys have hundreds and hundreds of them). Only problem you might run into looking for culls is that this is sort of peak training time for racers, and I don't think the races have even begun yet, so I'm not even sure if culls would be available yet, I think end of summer early fall is the right time to try to find culls from racers. Still might be worth a try to ask around, at the very least you can build some contacts like Gundogguy said above.

Although I said it's tougher to trap ferals in the summer, you can still do it, you just have to be smart about baiting and setting your traps. Best bet may be to befriend a gas station owner and ask if you can set a trap on the roof, those guys usually want the ferals gone.

Or just buy chukars or quail. Bluebriar Kennels is pretty close to you, he breeds birds also, and you could give Chris a call to see if he has any chukar or quail to sell.

Wurster101 likes this.
  11. ae1103

ae1103

I live near Highland Rec Area. I may be willing to let you borrow birds for a few dollars each. These would not be shooters, as they are my personal training birds. We don't shoot a lot of birds for our dogs.

If you are looking for shooters your best bet is quail or chuckar (Blue Briar in Romulus has always been a good source. I heard he might have moved to Adrain, but not sure on that) . Or pigeon culls from a racer later in the year.

Lamarsh and PA BUCK 2 like this.
  12. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

If that is the case, maybe consider contacting the folks that run SEMI NAVHDA and see where they are getting their birds from.... or, better yet, consider simply joining SEMI NAVHDA or at least trying them out for a few training days. They do group bird buys and have nice grounds at Highland Rec area with cover, and I believe training tools as well, and certainly nice folks willing to help out get a pointing dog started.

13. Mike da Carpenter

Mike da Carpenter

The Highland rec area that is mentioned above is hosing the Michigan GSP club’s walking trial this Sunday, then again on Memorial Weekend (Saturday/Sunday) German Wirehaired pointer club (Saturday) and Viszla club (Sunday) hold their events. my understanding is that all pointing breeds are welcome, but pre registration is required.

Lamarsh and PA BUCK 2 like this.
  14. PA BUCK 2

PA BUCK 2

generous offer on the pigeon use..

Bluebriar is now in Adrian. Chris moved down there and is in the process of setting up his operation down there again- from my understanding.

Lamarsh likes this.
  15. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

One more thing to consider. Unless you use a kick trap or bird launcher, pigeons may not be the best option. Pigeons aren't ground birds like chukars, quail, pheasants, etc, they perch up. They don't like being on the ground. You can dizzy them, but I'd imagine once they come to they will seek a temporary perch or just fly away. Chukar and quail will usually stay put, or maybe walk around a bit, but rarely will take off if planted properly, and for that reason may be a better choice for somebody without the aforementioned gear. Just something to consider as you go about this process, in case you don't have the equipment you might want to just stick with the chukar and quail.

There used to be a PDF that was pretty easy to find online that listed a bunch of game bird breeders in Michigan, with contact info, but I can't seem to find it for some reason.

In any event, I still think your best bet for some good bird work might be to check out the training days with the SEMI NAVHDA folks, they should be doing it every Saturday at Highland.