close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need ice shanty hoist ideas..

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by BUBBA340, Oct 23, 2017.

1. BUBBA340

BUBBA340

I have my ice shanties (80 and 100lbs) stored on top of 6 foot shelves and am getting tired of dragging them down on planks and ladder jacks. Does anyone have a nice hoist setup that allows one person to lift shanty then pull sideways to clear shelf and then lower to floor? Considered the Racor garage lift but too many bad reviews..thinking something involving a deer hoist pulley setup? Any ideas or pictures appreciated. Thanks in advance...

2. BUBBA340

BUBBA340

I guess I should add that it's in a pole barn with open trusses with about a 10 ft ceiling.

3. icefalcon

icefalcon

Maybe bike hoist? Menards has them. Would change out hooks but might work. Not much $$.

4. BUBBA340

BUBBA340

I bought one of those but I thought it was very light..came with some light parachute cord type line, that's why I was considering the deer hoist idea..hoping to be a little safer... thanks

5. nick 74

nick 74

Google " ice shanty storage ". Then click images. That will give u plenty of ideas. Lots looked like they were in barn rafters similar to what u described.

6. BUGBOAT

BUGBOAT

7. BUBBA340

BUBBA340

Thank you. that was one of my original considerations and the bad reviews and price scared me away..clearly you have found it to be a reliable solid product. With the reviews you sometimes cant tell if the problems are with the product or the people putting them together...I may have to reconsider that as the other ideas I see look like a bunch of Rube Goldberg devices. I was also thinking about what I might be able to do with my atv winch and a big pulley to use the power and wt of my atv to my favor. I am learning that quality rigging equipment is expensive...

8. BUBBA340

BUBBA340

I was also considering a unistrut track attached to my rafters with a unistrut dolley attached to a block and tackle. (allowing me to lift up, pull sideways off shelf and let down) Afraid it might be too shaky though...this stuff is all too expensive to play around with trial and error..

I did see that home depot carries the Racor lift racks also and with some bonus points I have it makes the price more reasonable so I think I will be trying one.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  9. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

Harbor Freight sells a lift kit similar to the pictured one from amazon. Can't remember the price though.

10. jancoe

jancoe

I made my lift for my otter. Hand winch it up and down. Frees up so much garage floor.

Attached Files:

Burksee and jumbojake like this.
  11. BUBBA340

BUBBA340

Nice setup, is that a boat winch I see on the wall to lift it? My eyes are too bad or the pictures too small.. pulley and rope lift?

12. jancoe

jancoe

Here's a couple more pics of the lift. It's amazing how much space can be taken up by your shanty hanging out on the garage floor. I'm glad I did this. The frame maybe weighs 15lbs and my otter with gear in it I'm sure is over 150lbs.

Attached Files:

Big_Jim likes this.
  13. BUBBA340

BUBBA340

Thanks for posting the additional pictures, this is what I was looking for. My winter/spring project for sure...