Need help

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Smitty03, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Smitty03

Smitty03

I haven’t had a chance to put it in the water, I put a 15x15 steel prop on new flame thrower coil to match my Pertronix ignition, put a new carb on adjusted it adjusted my throttle it was alittle loose, checked of foam was water logged it wasn’t purs like a kitten but just hoping it gets its wot

kroppe likes this.
  2. Smitty03

Smitty03

Question before I put my new carb on I found out that my choke was only opening up 1/2 way would that of made me bogged down after trolling? Would that effect wot

3. textox

textox

NO DOUBT!Check plugs for fouling too...

4. Smitty03

Smitty03

Okay I need your help so I thought he put new carb on but he re built it, so I’m still stuck with my same problem ran it last night the choke won’t open all the way, it’s a 2 barrel Rochester, with mechanical hot air choke. I need a new choke but can’t find any info or parts to order for it any ideas?

5. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Never assume that just because it runs and sounds good that all cylinders are firing. When running, pull off spark plug wires one by one and listen for a difference. If there is no difference after pulling a wire....then you know that cylinder is not firing.

kroppe likes this.
  6. Alaby

Alaby

You probably need a new bi-metal spring,it is on the other end of choke rod in a metal box. it contracts as the engine warms up. Take your carb # to a marina or good autoparts and they should be able to help you. There should be a metal tag on carb with the number.
    There are conversions to make it an electric choke, not sure how complicated to install.
    Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

anagranite likes this.
  7. kroppe

kroppe

A choke spring should be easy to find on line.

@Smitty03 What information do you have about the engine number or carb model?

Please provide all of the information you can, and we will help source a part for you. After a quick look, it seems to be less than $50, maybe less than $30.

Engine year:
    Engine block number:
    Carb model number:
    Carb year:
    Boat hull number:

8. Alaby

Alaby

I want to clarify when I said you need a new choke spring. These engines idle alot if you troll alot,what happens is the chamber that choke box sits on gets Carboned up so it doesn't warm up enough to fully contract the choke spring. You may or may not need a new spring. You should be able to open the choke by working the linkage by hand, then see if it gets on plane. I hope this helps and sorry if I mislead you. After posting my previous post,I remembered what I just wrote. I have same engine in my boat, except with 4 barrel and I've had to mess with my choke.

9. Smitty03

Smitty03

So I’m going to get all the info tomorrow for you kroppe but tonight I messed with alittle I tried to adjust the choke to alittle leaner but the adjustment won’t even moved it’s like it’s froze up

kroppe likes this.
  10. kroppe

kroppe

Sounds like your choke needs maintenance, possibly including a few replacement parts.

11. Smitty03

Smitty03

So under further investigation the black plastic piece is stuck not allowing me to move adjust it, a mechanic told me to tap on it to free it up an I’ll be good to go sound about right?

12. kroppe

kroppe

If the choke is stuck, it needs to get in-stuck. Without photos it’s hard to give input one way or another. Can you either post photos, or try it and report the findings?

13. Smitty03

Smitty03

I’ll post photo of it tonight

kroppe likes this.
  14. trapman

trapman

Try going to truck stop have it weighed them research the weight and u can rule out wet foam without removing anything