Need help

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Smitty03, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Smitty03

Smitty03

I can’t tell you if the fuel filters been changed I know the fuel separator has. How many fuel filters are on it?

2. Smitty03

Smitty03

I think something fuel to, I forgot to mention it runs fantastic except after we troll for awhile when we go to take off it is loaded up an takes like a mile to clear it self out before it gets up an goes again

3. Smitty03

Smitty03

It acts like it either loaded up or starving for fuel u have to ease into the throttle little by little to eventually get to full but that’s only after trolling

4. kroppe

kroppe

Fuel starvation.

Check (replace) all of the supply lines and filters.

anagranite likes this.
  5. kroppe

kroppe

What year is your engine? Do you have an engine number? Can you post photos?

This should be easy to narrow down. Throttle plate movement is what it is - it should move from closed throttle to WOT without question or equivocation. If it doesn't, something is wrong at the carburetor (linkage) or in the shift cable along its length, or at the helm.

After you describe the behavior after fishing, it sounds more and more like fuel starvation. Look at this video at 0:52, the fuel filter is shown. Do you have this type of carburetor?

6. kroppe

kroppe

7. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Is yours a 4 bbl carb? I had a much heavier boat and one time had a hard time getting it on plane. I found the problem that the 4 bbl wasn't kicking in. There was a "tit" on the linkage that broke off and made it so it didn't kick in. Can't tell you what the RPM's were.

8. Smitty03

Smitty03

Thanks kroppe I appreciate it!! An yes I do have a 4 barrel holly on it. It’s an 87 4.3omc with cobra out drive

anagranite likes this.
  9. kroppe

kroppe

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    anagranite likes this.
  10. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Take off the top of the air filter unit. Then fully depress the accelerator and you should see the back 2 butterflies open. If not only your 2 front barrels are working. Might not be it but worth a look.

11. Smitty03

Smitty03

Thanks I appreciate it I’m going to look at it tomorrow an I’ll let you guys no what I find out!

12. Smitty03

Smitty03

So I looked at it today I found out (don’t know if normal) when I push throttle all the way down the throttle by the carb opens all the way.... but between neutral an half closer to half it closes an then I got about three inches left back to netural on the shifter it’s self. Sorry if it’s confusing to under stand best I can explain it

kroppe likes this.
  13. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

The lower pitch makes the engine reach maximum rpm at slower speeds. Conversely, a higher pitch will deliver greater top speeds, but slower acceleration. ... If you're changingpitch on a recreational boat, remember that each inch of pitch is worth about 200 rpm. Lowering the pitch will increase rpm and vice versa. Sep 27, 2019

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Shoeman likes this.
  14. kroppe

kroppe

Thanks smitty. I'm not really sure from the explanation. Is there another way to describe what's happening? Did it seem normal to you?

Are you saying that the throttle plates close when the helm throttle is at the halfway position?

15. Smitty03

Smitty03

Yes that’s what I meant to say,