Need help understanding centerfire during muzzle loader season.

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by multibeard, Dec 1, 2020.

1. retired dundo

retired dundo

People should read the guide every year from front to back.because every year dnr make lots of changes some of which are stupid but we have to go by them evan if we don’t like themIts that simple take half hour every year and read every thing I do

2. ArrowFlinger

ArrowFlinger

From todays DNR email blast

Muzzleloading season
    The muzzleloading season is open Dec. 4-13 statewide. In the northern Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula, only muzzleloading firearms may be used.

In Zone 3 (southern Michigan – see page 11 in the Hunting Digest) and the full counties of Bay, Isabella, Mecosta, Midland, Muskegon, Newaygo and Oceana, all legal firearms may be used during the muzzleloading season.

Hunters in the Lower Peninsula may harvest either an antlered or antlerless deer during the muzzleloading season on a deer or deer combo license. Upper Peninsula hunters, see pages 48-49 in the 2020 Hunting Digest for more information on what can be harvested in your area.

Late antlerless firearm season
    The late antlerless firearm season is open Dec. 14 - Jan. 1 in select Lower Peninsula deer management units. Valid licenses for the season include an antlerless, deer or deer combo license.

The late antlerless hunt is a private-land-only hunt except for hunters hunting with muzzleloaders in Zone 3. If you are hunting with a muzzleloader on public land, you may harvest either an antlered or antlerless deer with a deer or deer combo license.

If you are hunting on private land, you may harvest antlerless deer only during the late antlerless season. You may use an antlerless license or an unused deer or deer combo license to take an antlerless deer.

Chessieman and Yankee#1 like this.

3. Botiz

Botiz

I came here to post the email the DNR just sent but I see that I’ve been beat.

So that is communication from the DNR both in the written digest at the beginning of the year and direct communication via email at the critical point in the season.

At this point the accusations of lack of clarity and failure to communicate don’t have any leg to stand on.

4. Yankee#1

Yankee#1

My 2 cents, but I personally can see two improvements:

1) don’t lump zone 2 and zone 3 counties together in the same sentence. Say legal in Zone 3 and then in a separate sentence say legal in these specific counties in Zone 2. Then clearly say all firearm laws and restrictions apply to each Zone.

2) don’t write an ‘exception’ for using muzzleloaders to harvest any legal deer - on public lands - under the private land antlerless section. I write legal documents and work with the feds and even I needed to check with DNR on this one, largely because they used the word ‘exception’.

Sorry, but this new ruling has nothing to do with private lands (which are actually unchanged), so this is not an ‘exception’ - it’s actually the creation of a new muzzleloader season on public that runs concurrent with private land antlerless.

Based on this thread, I’m now actually a bit hesitant to hit public land with a ML this month in Zone 3, knowing that some idiot may be out there still hunting with a 300 win mag because they misread/misinterpreted the Digest.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jiggin is livin likes this.
  5. Yankee#1

Yankee#1

I didn’t see the email. I suspect the DNR had so many calls and emails they felt the need to send a follow up message to provide clarity...

I think much of the confusion stems from not what they actually wrote, but where the writers place the new information and format the Digest.

6. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

You guys would be a hot mess in Idaho! :lol::lol::lol:

7. GATORGETTER

GATORGETTER Premium Member

I completely understand, clear as mud! ; )

8. Waif

Waif

Not hard to understand why some folks are confused about new regulations.

Muzzleloader season has been a season where muzzleloaders are used.
    When the state decides to extend regular firearm in some areas they should call it such.
    Same restrictions on caliber by area as regular firearm. What does that have to do with a muzzleloader? It's an option to hunt with? Heck , it was during regular firearm too.

Late antlerless season has been for killing , wait for it...Antlerless deer.
    Now in certain areas of public land an antlered deer can be killed during antlerless season.
    The caveat being it has to be with a muzzleloader....

What season is it? Where? With what weapon?

Muzzleloading season , with the same rifle as regular firearm season.(In certain areas.) O.K..
    Antlerless season , with antlered bucks legal , with muzzleloaders , on some public lands. O.K..

Is it all because two weeks of gunning during the prior regular firearm did not provide enough opportunity with a firearm?
    Time allowed to hunt may not be the problem...

Meanwhile surviving bucks needing post rut recovery before and after doe that did not take earlier come back in during a brief flurry when doe fawns come into season in Dec. , continue to get dogged.
    Must be bucks are the bane of public land and need to be further reduced , to reduce next years pool.

9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It’s muzzleloader season but it’s also archery season. Maybe that’s what it should be named since they are also legal to use. There is published info to justify that. You have to go no farther than the Deer Harvest report to read archers put more pressure on the deer herd than firearms hunters and muzzleloader hunters combined.

jiggin is livin, Bob S and Waif like this.
  10. Waif

Waif

We can hunt with a bow during regular firearm too.
    Well , former regular firearm. And in some areas sometimes , during archery/bow season.
    Maybe during the extended firearm/ muzzleloader season too... Not to be confused with muzzle loader antlerless season on some public lands in which a buck can be taken.
    :whistle:

ArrowFlinger likes this.
  11. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

But only with a valid tag.

Waif likes this.
  12. Chessieman

Chessieman

Why, the handbook will stand up in court. Why deal someone that wants to play god, isn't a queen enough?

Opps, posted prior to reading the above email from the DNR.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Waif likes this.
  13. Chessieman

Chessieman

In what part of the state? Hold it, this change come about to make it less confusing according to the DNR.

OK, is everybody clear on this ?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    ArrowFlinger, multibeard and Waif like this.
  14. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

All I wanna know is if the tag I made up with craft paper is still good.

Joking

15. Shawnxbow

Shawnxbow

All I know is I will be out Friday in Livingston co with my 350 L and will be happy about it. And when that is over if no deer and not to cold I will be out with my x bow. Which I would be out with this weekend if I did not shot a doe with it already. I want to shot a deer with the 350 now.
    Good luck and be safe

o_mykiss, jiggin is livin and d_rek like this.