Need help understanding centerfire during muzzle loader season.

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by multibeard, Dec 1, 2020.

1. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I have seen nothing coming out of the DNR on what center fire rifle can be used where during the muzzel loader season.
    Did they move the limited firearm line north?

2. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

It isn't entirely clear, at all.

But they say Zone 3 is open to it and some counties in Zone 2. I assume the limited firearm rule still applies in the limited zone, because they don't really say otherwise. There is a small area of zone 3 that isn't in the limited zone. I live in that area, so I don't pay much attention to the limited rules, but I always wondered why they didn't just combine the limited zone and the zone 3 boundary to make it a little less confusing.

Sam22 likes this.

3. multibeard

Typical Do Nothing Right.
    I did talk to a CO friend on the phone yesterday but i guess I did not ask the right questions. Can you use a center fire in zone 2. I am thinking they moved the limited zone north to include some of zone 2.

4. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Seems pretty clear to me that it is open to all legal firearms. If you are in zone 3 or one of the counties listed you need to abide by what you can use for deer during the normal firearm season. Basically are you above or below the rifle line.

Exception: Zone 3 is open to all legal firearms, including the full
    counties of Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta, Isabella, Midland, and Bay

don, Nostromo, o_mykiss and 2 others like this.
  5. wpmisport

wpmisport

Muzzleloading Deer Seasons An individual hunting deer with a muzzleloading firearm during the muzzleloading deer season shall only possess or carry afield, or take a deer with a crossbow, muzzleloading rifle, muzzleloading shotgun, or black-powder pistol, loaded with black-powder or a commercially manufactured black-powder substitute. Exception: Zone 3 is open to all legal firearms, including the full counties of Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta, Isabella, Midland, and Bay. Only certified hunters with a disability may use a crossbow or a modified bow during the muzzleloading season in the Upper Peninsula, except in the UP Core CWD Surveillance Area where crossbows may be used

Stubee, QDMAMAN, Sam22 and 2 others like this.
  6. Bucman

Bucman

Its a mess for sure, smh

3X8 and 12Point like this.
  7. multibeard

They opened muzzle loader season up to the use of centerfire rifles after the booklet was printed from what I under stand. I am trying to find out what the rules are for using a center fire in the muzzy seaon.

8. Botiz

Botiz

I really don’t get the confusion. To me, it’s pretty clear.

Page 22 of the digest starts the section that describes legal equipment during each season. On page 23 it clearly outlines that during muzzleloader season a hunter can only use a muzzleloader, with the exception that Zone 3 is open to all legal firearms.

So if you hunt in Zone 1 or 2, you can only use a muzzleloader. If you hunt in Zone 3, you can use any legal firearm for where you hunt in that zone. What’s to not understand?

9. Captain of the 4-C's

Captain of the 4-C's Premium Member

10. ryan-b

ryan-b

Where’s the confusion in the guide? Looks pretty clear to me. Or is the confusion from getting info from other sources other then the guide?
    2A8163C7-FB9F-44E6-BE0A-D49E51FC7454.jpeg

11. Chessieman

Chessieman

Some of you guys must not have been following the can of worms opened up for us down here in zone 3 with the extended gun season. You guys up there in the six counties will not be able to hunt bucks with ML on state land till the beginning of the year like us down here in zone 3.

fishpig and Sam22 like this.
  12. Spartan88

Spartan88

What a convoluted mess.

13. Captain of the 4-C's

Captain of the 4-C's Premium Member

Ryan B - clearer now - it sure as heck wasn't a month ago. Multiple news sources were reporting you could use any firearm during muzzy season in the lower peninsula.

Scout 2 and Sam22 like this.
  14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I thought the hunting digest was pretty clear. I also subscribe to the DNRs email blasts which also alerts everyone to deer related subjects.

I’m always amazed how some guys try to come up with exceptions that are not there.

Bob S, Sam22, jiggin is livin and 2 others like this.
  15. mofo

mofo

I’m in zone 3,I don’t like the new rule but I guess I can hunt with the 450 till January, I do miss the true muzzleloading season no in lines boy those were the days