close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help/suggestions

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by hear fishie fishie, Sep 8, 2017.

1. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Have bears comming in to my bait.
    Cameras show bears at around mid nite and 4:30 to 5 am. Come everyday.
    Feed around noon every 2 or 3 days.
    Any suggestion as to how to get them to come in during day light hours would be helpful.
    Note:
    Brother is baiting about .6 miles away and has a couple of good ones coming in about 3-5 pm.

2. Biggbear

Biggbear

are you sure you aren't both feeding the same bears? could be hitting his bait then yours. that distance is nothing for a bear to cover in search of food. try putting out less bait when close to season to get them to visit earlier. maybe do a honey or bacon burn the first time you hunt.

3. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Generally do a bacon or popcorn burn each time I bait. Also spray vannila or anise up into the trees (20-30') to try and draw other bears in.

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I agree. I have 2 baits 1.8 miles apart right now and I have what I think is the same sow and 2 cubs hitting both baits. Bears tend to roam. When u have nothing to do but mill around looking for food all day you can cover 2 miles pretty quickly.

I have read that it is recommended to stay 5 miles between baits. I would believe that is decent advice.

5. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Not always possible to be that far apart when majority of area is private property.
    Last time I drew a permit we had 5 bait sites on one section of land.
    Had bears visit all 5 and 4 out of 5 hunters harvested a bear. The 5 hunter wounded 2 different bears that were not recovered or found although 1 was tracked for about a mile.

6. sourdough44

sourdough44

One key question is what type of cover right nearby? Bears need to be comfortable coming to a daytime bait, a thicker, private block of swamp or evergreen rates well. They don't want to be traveling through hardwoods to your bait, in daylight.

Once bears are coming, I don't see much need for a bacon burn. Just bait with the normal routine then exit.

It's a bit late to change much for 1st season. Just use your very best bait now. Good luck.

7. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

1/2 mile is a hop skip and a jump for a bear. Are both baits getting the same food? You wouldn't believe the difference cover makes. One bait I only moved it 20 feet and the Bears went from feeding in the evening and nights to almost all day. Extreme heat in the summer, Bears will head to. Water around 1 pm-3 pm. This is my preferred baiting time. Some young bears will use this period to fill up.

8. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Latest card pull yesterday had a sow with cubs in at 6 am and stayed for awhile
    Good cover where brother is. Fairly thick where I'm baiting.
    Food being put out in barrel is similar but not the same.
    Have changed mine some so will see what happens in next couple of feedings. Lots of water available near both bait sites.
    Hope cooler weather helps and white oak acorn drop hold off as that can really mess with bears hitting bait during daylight.

9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

My advice always has been, bait where bears are not where you want them to be.

There is a lot of public land in the NELP that holds bear. Each dot represents a reported kill location from the 2016 season. The shaded area is high bear concentrations. There is still plenty of time to establish and get activity before the season starts.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1505054580.748093.jpg

10. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

Real good advice previous poster gave you on your baits being too close. They are.

Years ago when I hunted over bait I just never re-baited until I was there hunting. Just a tactic I tried. Worked for me, but that was many years before the hunting pressure we now experience and almost no competition from other baits. That's the price we pay for today's bear management plan.

11. sureshot006

sureshot006

is this map available on the DNR site somewhere?

micooner likes this.
  12. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Not that I'm aware of. It's a screen shot from the power point presentation at the DNR Bear Forum in St. Ignace.

sureshot006 likes this.
  13. sureshot006

sureshot006

I see my bear's dot on the map, but also 2 others nearby. Wondering if a the little red dot is the reason my brother isn't getting the giant from last season to visit his bait...

14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

If you stop at an office where there is a biologist they will show you the map. I have had some awesome experiences just dropping in and asking questions.
    The field techs that register the bears will talk with you too.

sureshot006 likes this.
  15. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

My 7 baits ( run 46 k/m ) and I seeing a lot of blue berry scat.