close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Help Choosing a Center Pin Line

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by FishingWithDom, Apr 10, 2018.

1. ramjet

ramjet

>>if anyone is interested let me know and I will get the info on here.<<

I'd like to see it, Thx.

2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

100_0547.JPG 100_0547.JPG 100_0548.JPG
    This is on Center Pin Talk. Hope it is helpful.
    I got around to installing the cork on one of my older reels today, so here is how I do it. I am not the best of photographers but you should be able to follow the procedure.

1. Measure the width of the spool and determine how many cork layers you want to put on the spool. I cut the cork just a tad wider so that it fits tight against both sides of the spool.

2. Wrap the first layer of cork onto the spool and mark the cork for cutting to length needed. I then wrap and check for correct length.

3. Cut about 2" of double side tape and attach to one end of the cork, place on spool and wrap tightly around spool bring the loose end up to lay snug against the first edge, apply pressure to cork to seal down.

4. Repeat step 2 and 3 for each layer of cork.

I have been adding about 10-15 yards of standard 20# backing over the cork and then attach my mainline. I feel that this might help to keep the mainline from bedding down along the edge of the cork and for us old fogey's act as a warning if you do happen to run into a screamer that wants to take all your line.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Since posting this I have been doing this without adding the double sided tape in step 3 and have had no problems once line is put on. This was suggested on the CPT forum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Duck-Hunter likes this.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Well I messed up the post, but I am sure that you can follow it and get the idea of what to do. the original photos did not come through so tried to add them at the end and ended up at the top.

4. Riverdude

Riverdude

I did the same but used sticky-back cork from Hobby Lobby.
    Cut, peel ,stick.

5. ramjet

ramjet

TYVM for the "how to".. may go down into the basement and try it today.

6. STEELnICE

STEELnICE

12 lb. McCoy Mean Green is the best mainline IMO. No need for a shot line. Was originally recommended by a carp/catfisher, beats every other mainline I've tried for steelhead hands down.

7. ramjet

ramjet

I guess I should actually answer the question the OP asked!

>>What center pin line do y'all use?<<

Someone mentioned to me that when you are getting started, use something that won't cause you great heartache when you have to cut out the inevitable casting rat's nests that is also easy to see. (ie-less expensive). I used:

Suffix Siege Neon Tangerine

I still have the original line on there after about 3 years. I think I used 8 or 10 lb on my first reel (would have liked thinker) and the 12 on another reel I have bought since.

I filled the reel pretty full, which was a bit of a mistake in retrospect, it's to easy for the line to fall off the side of the reel. Leaving 1/8 to 1/4 inch works better for me, especially if it's windy.

Hope you enjoy it, I certainly have.