Need Help Choosing a Center Pin Line

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by FishingWithDom, Apr 10, 2018.

1. FishingWithDom

FishingWithDom

What center pin line do y'all use? I am new to this concept of fishing, so I would like to get the right gear in order before I really dive into it. I have been told 50/50 reviews on the Hydrofloat by P-Line. Thanks for any insight.

2. Riverdude

Riverdude

15 lb Raven. Cheap. Behaves well. I like pink.

Sparky23 likes this.

3. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Hydro float is good in concept - if you like braid. I prefer mono. I just can’t get the feel down for braid and even pop 12 lb leader on the hookset when fishing for kings. Also with that particular braid, as soon as you scuff the coating, it loses a lot of strength. My line of choice for the last year has been gamma copoly. (not many pin guys run it, I really like how it behaves in all aspects) I ran sunline fine float ii before that, if you take the sunline route go at least 16lb (it’s a thin diameter line). Gamma I have been running 14. Sufix siege is also preferred by many. Fine float floats the highest and mends the easiest of those 3. I’ve never run the raven line but have heard very mixed opinions.

4. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have been using Suffix Siege and/or ProMix 10# for a couple of years and find it works fine. Both are supple and strong with good knot strength. Tried the Blood Run and also like it, floats well and mends just great. Just remember that the BR is rated high, I tried 10# and had it break with 6# leader. Switched to the 15# mainline and have not had a problem.

6. Corey K

Corey K

10 or 12 lb test clear Stren, buy some fly floatant and treat your line that will help. Stren is nice and cheap.

Treven likes this.
  7. steelheadpinner

steelheadpinner

I have been using bloodrun line 15lb recently (mixed feelings as of late, but overall it's done well). Also have used siglon 10 and 15lb(knot strength IMO when doing line to line knots as its density for floating makes the harder line cut it at the knot. I usually have to tie three times before the knot sets evenly). Suffix seige 12lb has been good and is on my back up reels, and I have used the Berkley sensation. I dont use braid as I hate ice buildup and prefer mono lines for some give when fighting a fish on the pin.

8. Sparky23

Sparky23

15lb high vis mono. They all float. Pick your fav brand or try a cheap one like raven.ive used hydra and about everything out there and havent noticed a difference really.

9. adam bomb

adam bomb

I like 15# Bloodrun Floating mono. It’s been great line for me. I run that go 10# maxima shot line with a swivel at both ends and then a 8# Bloodrun 100% fluorocarbon leader.

While we’re talking about line I’ve been contemplating ditching the Dacron backing for braid. I’d like to try and catch some salmon on my pin this fall and would like the added line capacity. Is a foot of mono tied on the spool to attach the braid to going to cause any issues if I went that route? I’ve heard mono tied direct can cause spool warp, but I’d assume that’d be a spool full that’s causes the issue. Thoughts?

10. steelheadpinner

steelheadpinner

Run 2 layers of your backing and then double uni the line you want. How is it you do you not have enough backing? I spool 100yds of float line and the rest is backing. Maybe 200yds of black dacron 30lb. I have never had a salmon take me that far yet to where I've gotten into my backing fighting a fish.

11. breminnie

breminnie Premium Member

15# Bloodrun floating mono works great for me. Tied like the bomb above!!!

12. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Hy
    Hydrofloat or any other braid will freeze on the spool and drag tons of water to the guides and freeze them up in cold temps. I have found Bloodrun line to be very inconsistent in breaking strength and also very stiff. I have had my best experience with 12# Sufix Elite or Seige in clear. I use either 8# fluorocarbon or 6# Maxima Ultragreen for leader with it.

Sparky23 likes this.
  13. slightofhand

slightofhand

I like Blood Run both the original 15 and the new soft 12lb

adam bomb and breminnie like this.
  14. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have put a cork backing on my reels for several years now and love it. No more line backing, less weight, and easy to install. I have posted a tutorial on another site on the process if anyone is interested let me know and I will get the info on here.
    As for needing extra line for Salmon, I have been running 125-150 yards of mainline and that is it, never have I had a problem with running out of line. I do tie in about 10-15 yards of backing just to be a reminder that I am about out of line, but never have I gotten to it.
    If you are running braid just tie it directly on your spool, don't worry about the mono, should not create any problems

Sparky23 likes this.
  15. adam bomb

adam bomb

Thank you sir