need gunsmith help

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by boomer_x7, Jan 7, 2009.

1. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

I have a marlin 925 22. mag i have been working on. I have glass bedded the action, recoil lug and free floated the barrel. After shooting it and not getting the groups i wanted i figured a pressure bed would probobly be better. so i took a peice of leather moved it around and found what was the best spot for the barrel. But it still wasn't shootin right. My groups were about an inch at 40 yards. But the group would be two bullets in one hole, an inch over two in another. So the result would look like a bunch of 2 shot groups with in an inch. Well to day i started playing with the recoil screw. I loosened it up and barrely tightened it. I put 2 bullets in one hole. Then my gloves i was leaning on moved so i reset my position with the gloves closer to the action. 2 shots= 2 flyers. so i sat and thought about what i did different ( moving the front rest) moved it back to the front of the forearm and put 2 more in the same hole as before. About 1/4 inch hole. So my question is what is a permanent fix for this. :help:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. Critter

Critter

Well if it was mine I would play with the pressure bed some more or bed the entire barrel. Some guns prefer that to a freefloat. Have you tried every brand of ammo you could get your hands on?

3. hunt-n-fool

hunt-n-fool

I would consider putting some type of wedge/shim on the front of the barrel to try out, and use a rest that is more toward the rear of the gun ( as opposed to the front ).

I agree that this shouldnt be a factor with the bedding, but I would try it anyways.

I might also try another source of ammo.

The barrel isnt likely to be heating up is it ?

4. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

heat is not a factor in this case.Ammo is fine.( CCI hollowpoint 40 grain 1845fps) With the gun leaning on a forward rest, it will shoot great.I am considering bedding the whole barrel. Just wanted to see if any one had a solution before i did bed the whole thing and it didn't work. A thought i had is that i bedded the recoil lug so the bottum is touching the glass. maybe when i put a little pressure under it, it causes the barrel to hop off it and when i put pressure in the front it releaves it a little. This is the first gun i bedded and am looking for any tips. I did bed another rifle and it tightened the groups right up.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  5. Grouse Hunter

Grouse Hunter

Front pressure does the trick? I had a gunsmith tell me once that some guns need front shim. He would shim the barrel between the stock and if it shot better he would install a set screw through the botton of the stock that he could adjust the pressure on the barrel. Try shimming it

6. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

I do have a shim in. A peice of leather for temperary exspierment. I moved it around to find the best spot.

7. Rootsy

Rootsy

Hard for me to believe that by moving the rest point on the stock it changes your POI that drastically with a 22.

Are you sure the barrel isn't loose in the receiver?

I assume you have made sure that the rifling has no leading taking place?

How does the crown look?

Sights tight?

The pressure point is used to create a node on the barrel. It doesn't need to be much and the thickness of the pressure point (shim) should only be great enough that it contacts the barrel and a few thousandths of an inch more. If it is excessive and you tighten the stock down you are then stressing both the barrel and stock.