Need cover for fire pit

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by Old Whaler, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

As part of the brick patio I've been working on, I added a built in fire pit.
    Pit 1.jpg

I'd like to have a round dome or metal cover that will fit inside the round screen and drop down over the coals to (hopefully) snuff them out, or at least prevent embers from flying around.

Pit 2.jpg

Inside diameter of the screen is just under 29" to clear the bolt heads that hold it together.

I'm a carpenter, but I've got no experience with metal work.

Any ideas out there?

2. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Check with whoever manufactured your fire pit surround.

Looks nice by the way.

Old Whaler likes this.

3. R.J.M.

R.J.M.

Small metal trash can lid may work
    Or a 55 or 30 gal drum with a few inches of water left over winter outside to create the dome when it freezes then cut to size with a sawzal

Old Whaler likes this.
  4. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

A 55 gallon steel drum is 24" in diameter. Cut it above the first ring from the bottom, flip it over, and bolt a handle on the bottom. It should fit inside the fire ring.
    I have a question about using small stone in the bottom of the pit. How easy will it be to clean out the ashes? It might be better to have a smooth surface, like from patio blocks.

Old Whaler likes this.
  5. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

Thanks. It's been a lot of work but very enjoyable and I'm really happy with how it's shaping up. For the cover I'm hoping to find something more aesthetically pleasing than the end of a barrel, even if it costs me some money.

That's crushed concrete over sand, compacted with a hand tamper. It's a lot flatter and smoother than it looks. One more layer and it will be hard, smooth, and flush with the tops of the blocks all the way around.

6. jimbo

jimbo

All I can think of is going to a tin shop and have something fabricated out of sheet metal.
    Maybe you can make an octagon shaped cap out of wood, but it might get too heavy.
    It’s nice looking though. I made one like that with out the crush Crete a few years ago. With the fire right inside the ring, those blocks just cracked in no time and I got rid of it.
    I can moisture sitting in your crushcrete and popping with a hot fire.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Old Whaler likes this.
  7. Sling

Sling

Flame creations.com

Old Whaler likes this.
  8. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

Good observation on the popping. That's part of the reason I went with a porous base, so water can drain away, and also why I want a cover that will keep rain out & keep it as dry as possible. I guess I can go with a round grill cover when the pit is cold, but I'm going to need something else to keep embers from flying around.
    Starting to warm up to that drum end idea, but first I'll try to find a tin shop that isn't backed up too much.
    Good observation, too, on the blocks cracking, but I'm hoping they last a while with the platform up on top and not recessed down in the middle. The sand base in my old store bought portable fire pit kept the heat from scorching the grass. Hopefully the sand will also protect the blocks a bit.
    We shall see.
    Thanks again.

Petronius and jimbo like this.
  9. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

Beautiful stuff there! They had one I could use on clearance. Only $495.

So I kept looking and found this. Search over.
    Pit 3.PNG

jimbo likes this.
  10. jimbo

jimbo

Yes the sand base will insulate those bricks, plus your fire and ring are above, so that should remain nice for years.
    I do like that cap from menards too

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Old Whaler likes this.
  11. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Firepit-Ki...VDvDACh0Cyw6EEAQYAiABEgK0B_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My fire pit is similar to this one. The metal ring overlaps the top row of bricks by about 2” and extends about 8” down from the top, which is how high I’ve filled the inside with sand and crushed stone. It’s about 15 years old, easy to clean and I’ve never had an issue with stones popping and have never had one of the fire pit bricks fail, or crack.

I made a large stainless steel cooking grate for the top which works really good if you need a big grill.

I like having it up and off the ground a couple feet, especially nice for cooking.

Old Whaler likes this.
  12. mark.n.chip

mark.n.chip

64D57F40-B91C-4FB6-B8E1-4AE9E0292ED9.jpeg

landscape brick with fire ring inside. Pee stone between the two. Sand in bottom makes cleanup easy

Old Whaler likes this.
  13. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

I was hoping to post a picture of my first fire but yesterday was too windy and it's been raining all day today. I'll post a fire pic as soon as I can, but here's what I wound up with:

Firepit.jpg
    There's a flat bed of sand 2" thick on top of the crushed concrete inside. The steel ring sits on the stones 2" above the sand so there's air intake. My neighbor is welding me up a round log grate, too.

14. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Garbage can dinner....one of my favorites?

on a call likes this.
  15. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

First fire this evening. Worked great. Pretty hungry, actually.
    Burns hot enough to incinerate damp, pulpy poplar. Fortunately I have tons of maple and oak from the windstorms of 2019 & 2020!

Pit 12 24.jpg

Pit 2.jpg