Need a flashlight recommendation. Surefire? Streamlight?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by johndeere506, Oct 13, 2020.

1. johndeere506

johndeere506

Im not sure what brands to be looking at. I decided I dont like the lithium models since ive been in a bind a few times and couldn't find replacement batteries while out of town hunting.
    Id like a good strong reliable AA flashlight. Ive had Gander and Cabelas brands in the past and worked well. Im looking for a smaller tactical type light mainly for hunting use.

2. d_rek

d_rek

I have a fenix tk25 red and blue. It has a rechargeable battery and I bought an extra. Around $110 when I bought a couple years ago. The white light is super bright. Well made and battery lasts forever.

Sent from d_mobile

smith34 and bheary like this.

3. d_rek

d_rek

Sorry realize you said non lithium. I had two mag lites that were very bright and used AA but they also allowed moisture into the housing and the batteries corroded and ruined the entire flashlight. This happened on two flashlights of the same model.

Sent from d_mobile

4. Firefighter

Firefighter

Get something with rechargeable lithium batteries via USB connection

Roman1, brushbuster, up520 and 5 others like this.
  5. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

I don't have a flashlight rec but I have a rechargeable head lamp from Amazon that is exceptional. It is very bright and last for 2 hours min on the brightest setting. It made tracking a lot easier.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jiggin is livin and sparky18181 like this.
  6. Stubee

Stubee

I use a Surefire G2 with LED and Li 123 batteries. You can buy extra batteries about anywhere these days. I carry spares in my hunting backpack but they honestly last about forever with my typical use. I’ve used a Surefire for many years, first one with the regular bulb then the LED model. It is one tough, reliable & bright flashlight.

7. Sewey

Sewey

I carry a Streamlight ProTac 2L-X which takes either two CR123A batteris or their rechargeable lithium batteries. I've owned some Streamlight's in the past that take AA's and they all worked really well. Much cheaper than Surefire and as far as I can tell, the quality is right there.

sureshot006 likes this.
  8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I have a Surefire Fury that I love. Press the button once and you've got a regular flashlight and press it twice it will almost blind someone it's so bright.

It does use lithium batteries and since I was aware of supply issues, I bought a box of ten when I bought the flashlight three years ago and I keep the spares in the truck console. The weird part is that I've never swapped out the original batteries and it's still bright as day one. I just pulled it out to get the model name off of it and shined it into my eyes and now I'm seeing spots.

I'll admit I don't use it often other than camping and hunting so a deer hunter may get shorter battery life if they use one more. I have two more of these in my home sitting next to my self defense door guns.

Stubee likes this.
  9. Waif

Waif

I reserve a Fenix for tracking. Charger and spare battery means it's always usable.
    Should tracking get extended (knock on wood it's been a while) a Coleman lantern will come into play.

A headlamp that uses AAA's does the work of any needed light for other use.

10. jexmex

jexmex

I got this one (mostly for use in looking for garden bugs at night, but have since been using it when I go out). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X1H5TJQ/ . I like the smaller size. I think it takes 3 AAA batteries if I remember right. Pretty bright as well.

I also got a headlamp with a rechargable battery and a red light (which I use when walking to stand in AM).

LabtechLewis likes this.
  11. fishnpbr

fishnpbr

Dom likes this.
  12. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/survivor
    I have the rechargeable one. But they come in alkaline as well. Mine lasts a long time and it's pretty handy to just set it down to illuminate what your working on. But for most work I prefer a head lamp.

Good luck whatever you decide!

U of M Fan, jr28schalm and 6Speed like this.
  13. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Headlights are often more practical than flashlights. I have a Streamlight Trident that works very well for setting up camp and walking out of the woods at night. It has four LEDs and it's gentle on battery life but also is very powerful if you turn them all on at once. I think it's best to have a flashlight and a headlight both. They're both different tools to get the job done and one works better than the other depending on the situation.

Guess I'm old but I remember when all of this cool stuff came out. Headlights were awesome for coon hunting at night 40 years ago! IMG_20201013_125701276.jpeg

14. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

I have been impress with coast flashlights. Very bright and small for the single aa one. Have 5 different ones now from a to d batteries.
    As a few say a nice head lamp is the way to go.
    Use my headlamp 99% of the time, and only pull the handheld out for thick areas where I need the brighter light to see the bright eyes, or tracking.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

CWesZ71 and martini77 like this.
  15. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Fenix... Mag Lites are Junk as of the last 10 years have several that did not last a year went to Fenix use a few for work and a few for Deer Hunting Bright last a long time on either Alkalines or Lithiums.
    Newaygo1

SteelShot and d_rek like this.