close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NE LP fly tying materials

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by Lamarsh, Mar 27, 2018.

1. adam bomb

adam bomb

I save all the mallard, wood duck, gadwall, Teal flank I can along with all my turkey fans. I’m going to start saving all my pheasant skins as well.

2. brushbuster

brushbuster

Bugs are a problem with DIY hide and feather patches. Don't store em with your good whiting hackle.
    I have boxes of stuff, I can send you some deer hair of you'd like.
    For my basic flys up here I can tie for any hatch with deer hair,brown and grizzly whiting saddle hackle, and a box of dubbing with assorted colors, tan, cream yellow, olive gray, blended to match the hatches. A pheasent tail, turkey tail and wing feathers round it off.
    Oh yeah, some poly yarn is nice for bodies and wings. A friend gave me a whole bunch of it that she used for Macrame chairs. I have enough of that stuff to outfit an army of tiers

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Lamarsh likes this.

3. brushbuster

brushbuster

No big deal at all. I catch fish on deer hair caddis just as well as I do on elk hair caddis

Lamarsh likes this.
  4. JAA

JAA

You need to get that fly rod out and hit Lk Saint Clair, You will have a Blast!!

Lamarsh likes this.
  5. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I got a bunch of DIY stuff pinned on a board with borax and such, going to deep freeze them when they're done, but I'll take your advice to store them separate anyways. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the offer for the materials, I really appreciate it. I had a trapper give me a bunch of stuff that I am tanning, and one of the forum members lives behind me and has a bunch of stuff he's letting me use, so I am good for now. Much appreciated though.

6. quack head

quack head

When using deer hair that is from the fall comb out as much of the under the as possible.

Lamarsh likes this.
  7. quack head

quack head

The under fur the soaks up water and makes seating the hair sloppy. Summer kill deer hair is much better to work with.

Lamarsh likes this.
  8. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Those are tough to come by, you'd have to find a farmer that harvested deer using a nuisance tag.

9. quack head

quack head

Most higher quality deer hair will have a minimal amount of under fur. I purchase mine. You can just open the bag, fold the hide on its self look or take a pinch close to the hide. Imo where it really matters is if You're spinning it. On smaller flies you'll be using more of the hair near the end (tip). The fuzzies just drive me crazy so I always comb the out best i can. Your always gonna get fuzzies no matter the season the hair was harvested.

10. quack head

quack head

I follow Kelly on you tube among some other tiers. I never use elk hair either for a caddis. Kelly is a great source for thing info. He is a Michigan native and answers my question the vast majority of the time.

11. brushbuster

brushbuster

I miss him, I use to go to his fly shop in traverse, really neat guy to talk to.