Nayanquing point 2020 thread

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by BumpRacerX, Oct 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Started the managed area season off today. We had a party member lucky enough to draw the PM hunt. My son and I rolled out a little after 8am this morning for our first 150+ mile day of the year. After a quick stop for fuel we picked up our card about 10am. Surprisingly enough there were only 21 parties. Unsurprisingly our draw was not very good. But...in the words of FBD at least we weren't last.

Still, we were able to get a zone that was added to our list last minute. The corn was in great shape and there were still a lot of bur-seed and plant material to be had.

The draw itself went super fast. As stated above...we were down the list a ways. And still had time to go get lunch, eat and shoot the breeze in the parking lot before we could go in.

By 12:40 we were setup. And then began the waiting game. It was silly quiet outside a teal buzzing down the front of the corn at Mach 4. But as hot as it was with blue sky...expected I guess. The last hour and a half picked up. We had teal everywhere. I missed a three pack of Woodies flying down the corn. We collectively missed a Woody that worked in right for us. Then we landed a blue wing in the spread that the youngster hit, we backed him up on and then still somehow lost. While fishfighter was trying to find the lost bird we had a teal land at 40. I had to shift and move quite a bit to get a shot on it without shooting towards anyone bcollected the bird. Then we had a blue wing drop right into the decoys which I offered to my son. Shoot it dad I can't see it. Bird had scampered right into some of the plants and was pretty well hidden.

After that I told fishfighter and my son I was strictly on backup duty. We had a few more teal buzz the strip but nothing that the 10 year old was confident enough to try cracking at. There was one bird that he called his shot on...but neither fishfighter nor I could see it in the plants so we called him off. By the time I spotted it it was out of range. Greenwing. And then fishfighter missed a teal that tried landing on his barrel.

Probably should have had another four...but after driving 1500+ miles last year for .5 of a mallard... I'll take it. Was worried that the kid would be bummed...but he was happy as a clam. We spent a bit of extra time looking for the lost bird after shooting hours was done and the look in his eyes watching all the birds fly around was priceless.

IMG_20201010_193639658.jpg

IMG_20201010_192110072.jpg

LumberJ, Sparky23, fisheye and 19 others like this.
  2. RS1983

RS1983

I'm headed out Thursday this week to hunt there. I've duck hunted all my life but never at a managed area other than Fenville. I'm going to try my hand at hunting the bay while I'm out. Plan to hunt Friday-Sunday.

3. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

The zones are huge if you're used to Fennville. A zone in the south field is the equivalent to four Fennville zones. When people at NP complain about bad neighbors, they don't know what bad neighbors really are.

Sparky23 and lefty421 like this.
  4. Grampski

Grampski

It's not all about killing something. It's about who you are with. He'll remember this hunt the rest of his life, i know i do and i'll always be thankfull for Larry Brefka Sr. the man who took me hunting when i was young. I remember the place the bird the everything...
    Congrats on the perfect hunt with your boy

BumpRacerX and daddyduck like this.
  5. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

NP was our first Managed Area. There's a 10-20 page thread on it from last year. Lots of information + trip reports from us and other people in there. Not quite as helpful as a Tawas fishing thread but still worth a read.

I think we're heading back later this week. Was supposed to have tomorrow off work for a Fish Point run. But I think that's getting changed to a NP run Wed or Thurs.

RS1983, Grampski and Tavor like this.
  6. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Exactly and thank you.

Had typed out a long response. But that sums it up. We're having fun. He's finally taken an interest in something other than the xBox. Fishing and hunting turned "cool" some point in the past year. Just trying to keep that flame going.
    -------------------------

Anyone able to confirm the Monday party count? I heard way more than there was field zones available. May completely change my Thursday plans.

7. Grampski

Grampski

you know the drawings are only at 5:30 am right? they're not doing 2 per day this year just one and you can hunt the whole day

8. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Yea, may have worded that poorly. NP was our first managed area trip ever. Which took place last year. We made the AM draw twice last year. The first time we had a poor draw but no plans to hunt the PM, so...when everyone else passed on the worst zone there we took it just for the experience. The other AM draw we got the exact zone we wanted which was cool even after passing so we could save the draw for PM. PM draw a few times.

Made it to FP once for an AM draw. Nice thing about there is that I can sleep in the parking lot the night before. Lots more zones. Shouldn't be an issue to get one somewhere.

Always wanted to learn the Marsh at Nayanquing. This might be the year.

9. Indybleck

Indybleck

I heard 73 for 25 spots
    Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Fishfighter likes this.
  10. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

In regards to what Far Beyond Driven said, Fennville has bad neighbors. Yes the sky busters at NP are bad, but they do not shoot into your zone like Fennville. Not sure if they are jealous of you having a bird(s) into your zone, knowing full well that you are in that zone . Not that I am bitter about it.

11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Not everyone at Fennville is like that and all managed zones have idiots.

12. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

55 parties this morning. Didn't get drawn. Currently sitting in the marsh doing an armed scout. Looking at Google maps... definitely a few spots to check out this afternoon...

13. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Empty handed yesterday.

Learned a lot though, so not all is lost. The draw of the Wetland Wonders is being able to do something that I can't do at home. Thus I drive down to hunt the flooded fields. That said...hunter numbers + covid procedures means the odds of being drawn are down (bummer but understandable). Eventually it was going to turn into marsh or drive home. Marsh it was.

The AM was a total bust. Went into marsh. Found first available pothole. No birds worked into it. The end.

The PM was an armed scout that I took a lot of information away from. Took a boat ride around and made notes on a few spots. Watched the flight pattern of birds going to different spots. We weren't on the X. Big mistake that we made was not moving to the X after we found it. Thought about that one on the way home. In a local marsh if birds are piling into X and no one else is there, I move and shoot birds.

Did put a stalk on some teal late. Never took the safety off. FF says "those are ducks right there" as we're stalking teal further away. Me..."I don't see any ducks" and keep heading towards the teal further away.

Three teal burst up right in front of us.

Ooops.

slabweeler and Far Beyond Driven like this.
  14. craigrh13

craigrh13

Found out they are implementing the anti cheating measures Shi started. It was observed by others that people were cheating the system pretty bad there. Throwing out cards and what not.

cruiseplanner1 likes this.
  15. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

They need to keep this change quite and bust those that are doing it and bann them from all units till end of year, that would cut down on party counts for all units. FP will be next im guessing. Good for them..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.