Navionics vs Lakemaster

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Sturat, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Navionics

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Lakemaster

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. hommer23

hommer23

I have a helix 7, purchased the Lakemaster for it And returned it after 2 weeks. It was to detailed for the Helix units, if I wanted to search for a waypoint or zooming in or out it would take 10-15 seconds to catch up. I switched to the Navionics card and have not had any problems with it, loads fast and is accurate for position but depths will be off as the water levels change.

Sturat likes this.
  2. Sturat

Sturat

Very good to know thank you. I imagine that if it bogs down a Helix unit it probably would be hard for my older less fancy 698 to keep up with it.

3. msfcarp

msfcarp

I have used Navionics on the Saginaw Bay since 2013, depths seem to be very accurate if you account for the average Lake level datum. Some of the structure breaks may be suspect but I am very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

sureshot006 likes this.
  4. sureshot006

sureshot006

Its the structure/breaks that are terrible, IMO. Much better on other lakes. I agree, you have to set it up right. Levels change all the time.

Sturat likes this.
  5. msfcarp

msfcarp

Your probably right about the structure, but inside turns seem to = fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

sureshot006 likes this.
  6. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I use 3 diff mapping solutions, LM is best if there's coverage.

Sturat likes this.
  7. Sturat

Sturat

Very good to know, thank you.
    As always I really appreciate everyone's willingness to share ideas and opinions on this site.

8. Sturat

Sturat

Got a chance to try the 698 and fl18 in the ice shanty last week. We have a clam Bigfoot xl 6000 tc ( which I really like) so the units were probably 6-7ft apart. I didn't notice anything unusual with the vexilar. I didn't see anything on the 698 that looked like interference. Tried the circular "flasher" screen as well as that traditional sonar screen. Seemed to have to turn sensitivity all the way up to get any indication of the sinker, small jig and small crappie minnow. I was using the summer transducer so I'm not 100% sure I had it pointing straight down.
    Overall I really like the 698 so far, I think I need a way to make the transducer point straight down though. I tried looping the cord like I've seen people suggest on here, I think my technique needs done tweeking though :)
    I really like the GPS and instant depth readout of the 698. Not sure if I'm ready to spend the $230 or so dollars for the ice conversion set up quite yet though.

sureshot006 likes this.
  9. sureshot006

sureshot006

Yeah likely not pointed straight down.

Don't know if it would help you but was it in "ice" mode?

Its crazy how much it costs for the mounting and case to make it an "ice pack"! It can be made from wood and painted if you wanted to go cheaper... put it in a backpack or bucket.

Sturat likes this.
  10. Sturat

Sturat

I'll look into the ice mode, thanks.
    It is allot of money for the portable kit. Right now I have it stuffed into an old mammoth outfitters generic flasher bag. It's tight but it works for now.

11. Sturat

Sturat

I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong thread, I've been simultaneously trying to get my 698 ice ready and figure out which if any mapping card to buy for it ..... Thanks everyone for your patience and the info.

12. Sturat

Sturat

If you don't mind me asking, why do you prefer lakemaster over the other options? Just wondering what some of the benefits are. Thanks

13. JBhunter45

JBhunter45

What trolling motor do you have?

I have a older version 2 of Lakemaster Great Lakes I use in a 1199SI and 698SI. No problems with loading maps or it following while running. I have I Pilot Link and love the follow the contour for inland trolling.

Go to the lake list at the bottom of the page and see if the lakes you fish the most are covered.
    https://www.humminbird.com/Products/HCGL4/

Sturat likes this.
  14. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

"Total Package"
    I find the contours more accurate on HD mapped water - and since I run i-Pilot Link & HB I can follow the contour if I choose.

The color options are great and I can also create my own mapping - if you're running a newer HB Helix/Solix too.

A 698 will have to be zoomed out for it to keep up - and you can turn off contour lines and that helps a lot.

I like the accuracy especially on steep drops.

The newer G2 Helix don't have a problem chewing the a HD map, unless you're over-zoomed and running fast.

Sturat likes this.
  15. Sturat

Sturat

I have an older power drive V2. Seems like I looked into it and it won't accept the ipilot upgrade. Everyone that I've talked to that has ipilot loves it. I would love to be able to use the spot lock feature instead of dropping an anchor.