Nascar up for sale -

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by capper, May 7, 2018.

1. walleyerick

walleyerick

Outside of a couple of tracks, the races are BORING, single file and no passing.

2. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

The Michigan, 2 mile track is about as boring as it can get.

3. Fishndude

Fishndude

It is transportation, with a spin. I've never understood the attraction, beyond the urge to see high-speed car crashes. And I've seen more than enough car crashes to last me a lifetime.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  4. R.J.M.

R.J.M.

I’ve seen nascar go from huge interest reasonably priced to high dollar and low interest. When I first started going (90s) to the MIS infield to camp for the race weekend it cost me a total price of 40$ $20 for myself and $20 to take my car for each race . It was first come first served as far as where you want to set up . Then they made camp lots with numbers and you had to put in to a lottery with the closer to the track more money and long time friendships made at the track over the years were broken up camp site wise . Family with kids and older folks who camped in turns one and two were now camping neighbors with hard core partiers from three and four . Then the price of sites started to climb as did the date to renew you site . Went from end of January to last I’ve heard it’s now October. My friend pays just over a grand for two races . June one site and August two sites next to each other and both in the third row back from the track . This year he’s dropped the June race altogether. If I commit in October it’s 80$ then after the dead line it’s 100$ for one race. it’s 40$ Sunday for just the day of a boring race . I’d rather buy fishing lures and tape the race you know FF till there’s blue smoke LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. motdean

motdean

While NASCAR has always had flaring tempers and kicked doors, the last 15 or so years had become more of a soap opera than a race.

I would still watch an occasional race until about 4-5 years ago.....

U of M Fan and capper like this.
  6. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

As was mentioned, NASCAR started its slow death the day Dale Sr died. NASCAR and the track owners got greedy and forced the real fans out with ridiculous ticket prices. I worked for Cat so had access to tickets for free. A group of us also had tickets of our own to Bristol and Michigan. We had to pay, up front, in December for all the tickets for the next summer. We also had to buy tickets for all the races, Saturday and Sunday, not just the Cup races.

I figured once that Penske had something like $50 million in the Bank in December for the next years races.
    That may be smart on his part, but it's also greedy and it's costing him and the other track owners dearly today.

Another factor today is the younger kids want to see rice rockets racing, not American muscle.

Too many places to spend your entertainment dollars today.

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

8. Waif

Waif

So far from it's roots it in't funny.
    I'd rather visit a dirt track with po-boys racing.
    Knock the glass out ,hang a net in the window and go!

Thunderbird in Muskegon was a hoot back in the seventies ,for good reason.
    A couple grand (plus or minus) and you could be a contender. Or a rookie anyways....
    Never saw Larry Updike finish a race. He usually flipped or wrecked ,but heard years later he actually finished a race. Bummer I was elsewhere...
    An very old tanker truck to wet the track now and then.
    A cameraman one night would dart out from the infield and snap pics of racers.
    Set his camera down on the edge and ....You guessed it ,a car nailed it.
    One night a car hit a light pole , the tow truck did not free the car from the pole before tugging on it and pulled the light pole...killing the lights and racing was over for the night! L.o.l..
    Fun.
    Them old boys monkeyed hard on the wheel. Had to!

PerchPatrol likes this.
  9. hawgeye

hawgeye

Dirt is taking over. I wish they would put dirt on national TV. NASCAR blows, the sponsors are dropping like flys. I have slowly quit watching. I get free tickets to both races every year but only go every 2-3 years. After Jr. retired last year, they are done. He was 75% of the fan base. If I watch now I only watch the last 50 laps. Sprint is so boring, I would wager that they will have to drop to 1 series instead of 3.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. Spartan88

Spartan88

I stopped watching, I do check out F1 though.

11. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

F1 = He who spends the most wins!!

To me it's more boring than NASCAR, all they do is parade around the track for a few hours and whoever spent the most on the latest technology wins.

12. Big Skip

Big Skip

Ive never been much of a fan, tried a few times. Ill tell u what if your having a hard time sleeping NASCAR is a good aid for that.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

13. david boyko

david boyko

I have been watching NASCAR for over 40 years and I am watching the qualifying right now and I think it is a little bit boring tonight I said this to my wife and she said that is just wrong

14. PerchPatrol

PerchPatrol Premium Member

I think they should just take cars from dealers' lots and race them.